Tuesday, April 18, 2023

J C Fernando passes away on the 18th of April 2023. Speedy

J C Fernando passes away on the 18th of April 2023

Mahendra "Speedy" Gonsalkorale

(please read all the comments from his colleagues)

This is the 49th Member of our Batch to depart, the last being Cecil Saverimuttu in January this year. Most of this article is derived from ND’s blog post of the 20th of October 2020.

On my many visits to Sri Lanka, I always made it a point to drop in on JC and Sura, and we had so many memorable and enjoyable evenings. I spent a lot of time refusing his constant efforts to refill my glass of Gin and Tonic! Sadly, Covid stopped me from visiting him during his final illness. He shall remain etched in my memory as a sincere and loving friend.

As most of you know, JC suffered a disabling stroke which left him with significant right-sided weakness and dysphasia. He lost his independence and was totally reliant on carers but, most of all,  on his beloved wife Suranganie or Sura as we know her. Her courage and fortitude were legendary, and his loss will leave a big hole in her life. But knowing her and having communicated with her regularly, I know she will have the strength of character to overcome this tremendous loss. In this, she will have the support of their two daughters and their families.

“Janaka Chandana Fernando (J.C)– the name raises a smile on everyone’s face. He is a force of nature that brings happiness to everyone around him. Gregarious, sociable and flamboyant are all descriptions that come to mind to portray a person we have all come to know and love since our medical school days. He had that irrepressible bohemian flair which was associated with medical students of the 1960s. In our citadel in Kynsey Road, no one epitomised the era more than JC. He enjoyed its trappings abundantly. Being from that great institution, Royal College, he knew the large contingent from that school that filled our batch and almost filled the rest of the Faculty of Medicine. JC became a part of the Faculty sooner than most”. 

“Many will remember JC arriving at the Faculty cycle shed every morning in his Honda 50 motorcycle. The Canteen was his first port of call for the customary Tea-Punt. He was a popular guy in our batch, spoke with everyone, and was friendly. With his affable ways, JC made friends with the girls more easily. This made the rest of the boys envious. JC was never shy to speak his mind, and with his loud voice, he stood out in a crowd. Born to blush unseen, we always made fun of his jet-black skin, which he accepted with civility. For his regal demeanour, I often called him the ‘Dark Knight’. All through medical school, he wore white shirts and trousers. This enhanced the contrast no end”. Note by Speedy.  I used to call him Kalu Maththaya, and he in turn responded with “Oya Kaluma Kalu Mahaththaya!

JC was tenacious, competitive and single-minded. He knew what he wanted and did what was necessary to achieve his goals. Once he had an idea in his head, there was no letting go of it. He is often frank and candid, and this attracted controversy. In any argument, He was persuasive. JC was never a pushover and fought his corner to the very end. These are characteristics of competitive sportsmen, as indeed a sportsman he was, excelling in Athletics at Royal. Despite all this, he was charming, helpful, kind, and well-liked.

Gaining entrance to the Faculty of Medicine in the 1960s was a gargantuan task. The available spaces were limited. There were hordes of applicants, and the competition was fierce. To gain entrance to the Faculty of Medicine demanded much more than intelligence and the Midas touch. JC was one of several fine sportsmen and women in our batch who had the grit, determination and strength of character to be successful.

He had tremendous enthusiasm for social events in medical school. Being a fine musician, many of us got to know JC at social functions. We sang and danced at the memorable and raucous evening booze-ups in the Men’s Common Room. My abiding memory at these events is the lithe figure of the ‘Dark Knight’ strumming his guitar, singing in graphic detail the itchy tale of “the dance of the phthirus pubis”. His signature song was “Saima cut wela” a tragic tale of a beginner’s hangover and an effective home remedy. He sang “Suranganee-ta malu genawa”, tempting fate long before they became a pair!! He capped it all with an enduring contribution to the Final year trip making the days brighter and the nights merrier.

Both Sura and JC, after a stint in the UK, forged successful careers in Hong Kong. There his work in Orthopaedic Surgery flourished, and he was greatly valued and respected. The demanding concerns for their two daughters' education eventually curtailed those happy times.

We all recognise our batch as a tribe, and the deep friendships are akin to a form of tribalism. Both JC and Sura are faithful to the tribe and their old friends. They have been enthusiastic, generous and hospitable entertainers to the multitude of winter visitors from our batch and our medical community in Colombo. They have had a fascinating life together, working in several countries and enjoying a good social life. Their two daughters have done them proud. 

JC has had a rewarding professional career. We have enjoyed his company, humanity and joie de vivre. Rarely boring or predictable, sometimes outrageous, JC was excellent company. Through his achievements, he has made his mark in the history of that great school. His was a good life well lived, and he has left fond memories which will always be treasured”.

Acknowledgements: I thank Nihal D Amarasekera (ND) for permission to use his blog article. ND was keen to express his appreciation to JC while he was still with us. I also know that JC was very touched by it.

Ref: https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/search?q=J+C+Fernando

24 comments:

  1. JCF epitomised the ethos of our batch like no other. From the rag to the final year trip and everything else in between, he was in the thick of it. He was fiercely competitive be it a game of billiards, table tennis or a friendly argument. He had no airs and graces, spoke to everyone and made friends easily. Those playful and friendly exchanges and teasing remarks were his hallmark. JCF had the wonderful ability to see the funny side of life in every situation relating his stories bringing them to life. His singing at our evening booze-ups at the Men’s Common Room will live in our minds forever.
    He was so much a part of our batch. I find it hard to believe I will not be seeing JC again.
    I send my heartfelt condolences to Sura, Nilanthi and Ruwani at this time of grief.
    May he find the ultimate Bliss of Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mahen and ND,
    Although JC was ailing for sometime, there is still a profound sadness when the curtain falls for the last time. ND summed him up elegantly and completely when he said JC was a force of nature and that he personified the ethos of our batch.
    My abiding memory of him is his singing “ mee amba wanaye meeyek marila, kawadada walalanne”. It was at the Negombo reunion. The moonlit night and the backdrop of the ocean embellished his lusty voice.
    Kanthi and I like to add our condolences to Sura, Nilanthi and Ruwani.
    May his journey in Sansara be short and May he attain the supreme bliss of Nibbana.
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katu and I would like to add our deepest sympathies to Sura Nilanthi and Rumania. J. C was a batch mate muchloved by everyone May he attain nibbana.
    Manil katugampola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahen and Nihal, thank you for posting this joint tribute to our friend. He was indeed a "Force of Nature" and unfortunately the force was subdued after his stroke in 2020. I managed to visit him and Sura a few times even after that. It was sad to see him being unable to communicate and express himself, in his usual exuberant manner, and I can only imagine how extremely frustrating it was for him. The timing of his stroke was also terribly unfortunate because the physiotherapists and the speech therapists were unable visit him as needed on account of the COVID lockdown and lingering concerns. Sura, bless her, was shouldering most of the responsibility on her own. In the recent months however, she was able to find an attendant who took care of JC very well. She did everything she possibly could to get the proper care.
    My last visit was a couple of months ago when Suri (Suriyakanthi) drove me over to visit JC and Sura at their apartment. A few minutes after we arrived the attendant brought JC over and he sat on the sofa to join us. As most of you who know us can visualize, Sura, Suri and I were talking non-stop, laughing and reminiscing about old times, and it would have been difficult for JC to have got a word in, even in his pre-stroke days. I could tell that he was enjoying the conversation even though he was not actively participating because he was smiling. When I asked him "Do you remember me?" he softly whispered the words "Why not?"
    JC and Sura always invited me over in previous years, whenever I visited Colombo, often along with a host of other friends. Thanks to them I kept in touch with many people. On one of my more recent visits the only other person who come over for lunch was Mahen. Sura had been at work all morning, and JC claimed to have gone fishing for prawns in the Beira lake to prepare an amazing prawn curry for us!
    His absence will be felt my many, most of all Sura, Nilanthi and Ruani. My heartfelt condolences to them.
    May he attain Nibbana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not aquainted with JC during my med school years, though it was plain to see he was a most exuberant “force of nature” as Nihal has described so elegantly and eloquently. May JC rest in everlasting peace having spread so much joy around him during his lifetime.
    Sura, Nilanthi and Ruwani, Please accept my sincere sympathy- May the road ahead be not too difficult.
    Mahen and Nihal - Thank you for the post.
    Rohini

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still remember his athletic ability, especially the memorable race against Ranjit Wijesekera who was physically much taller and stronger. But JC gave it all he had at the Oval. We lost a very good man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mahendra
    Thanks for the elaborate rendition of JC's life.
    The moment I heard the sad news I condoled Sura.
    This is the SMS I sent :-
    My deepest sympathies Sura. May you console yourself that he had ended his suffering. I can understand what you are going through. We have to face these grievences with courage.I am sure your children will help you to get over this loss.
    When Sura called and said that JC had an eye problem sometime ago I went and saw his eyes in their apartment. Though he was on a special bed he was happy to know that his eyes were OK. I was happy that I was able to see JC and tell him and Sura that his eyes were OK.
    I have been in contact with Sura on and off re his illness. I admire Sura for her enthusiasm and the way she looked after him.
    I attended the Funeral at the General Cemetry, Borella and was able to condole Sura, Nilanthi and Ruwani.
    I noticed that Royal College students wearing the school tie came to pay their last respects to show their appreciation for the great service he rendered for his old school.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mahendra
    I am sorry I couldn't add " May he attain the supteme bliss of Nibbana"
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  9. FROM SUNIL AND SIRIMA
    JC(Chandana) your loss is irreparable. But this is the way of life. May you attain nibbhana. Our deepest sympathies to my sister Surangani , & her daughters Nilanthi , Ruwani & their families. From Sunil & Sirima

    ReplyDelete
  10. FROM DHUSHY VEDAVANAM
    With Deepest Sympathies to the family of J.C Fernando.
    Sorry to hear that yet another of your dear batch mates has departed this world. May his soul rest in eternal peace.
    Dhushy

    ReplyDelete
  11. FROM SURIYAKANTHIE
    I had the privilege of conveying my sympathies to Sura, Nilanthi, and Ruvani personally yesterday at the A F Raymond's Funeral parlour, and also walk behind the hearse from the parlour to the new Crematorium at Kanatta
    ( a distance of over one kilometer in spite of my THR) .
    It was nice to see batch mates Sriyani B, Pram, Chirasri, Swyrie and Lama at the funeral.
    However I feel compelled to share some precious memories of our beloved J C with you all.

    J C was indeed a unique person. His friendly personality, sense of fun and true concern for others that made him reach out a helping hand to any one in need, made him one of the most popular boys in our batch.

    He was our mode of transport on the many Public Health trips... It is noteworthy that all his passengers were girls!!
    JC was the only one that my parents trusted to bring me back home safely after a
    "Block Nite" or " Colours Nite"
    He would willingly drive all the way to Mt Lavinia to drop Kusuma, Chandra and myself often around 2 or 3 am .

    He had the ability to laugh at himself, and took the teasing about his dark complexion in good spirits. I clearly remember a page torn off a note book, colored in with a black pencil captioned " guess who ? "( Referring to JC ,and Yoga) being passed around in the Physiology Lecture theater.

    His prowess in athletics was well known. As Lama has told us he was the Captain of the Athletic Team at Royal . He also held the Public Schools record for the 100 meter sprint which remained unbroken for many years.

    I had the privilege of partnering JC for the mixed doubles TT tournament in Medical College,
    I think it was in 1964. We were able to come up to the finals but had to face the daunting Lucas brother and sister combination ( of national fame).
    We obviously lost but gave a good fight, supported by the cheers of the audience in the boy's Common Room.

    I also had the privilege of being present when both his daughters were born by LSCS Nilanthi's as an observer and Ruwani's as part of the caring team.

    JC and my husband Mahendra found they were soul mates sharing origins from Moratuwa, their Karawa cast,and their love of music and dancing. Many were the dances and holidays we enjoyed together both here in Sri Lanka and UK. I have fond memories of weekends spent together singing and dancing late into the night, most likely to the horror of our English neighbors in our house Bromley Kent and our town house in Brighton ! JC would amuse us, dancing while balancing a glass of whiskey on his head!

    It was at J C and Sura's home in Nawala that we hatched the plans of organizng the first ever Batch Reunion in 1988. It was an uphill task as we had little or no information of the whereabouts of our batch mates. The fact that we were able to round up 26 batch mates is evidence of the effort we put in.

    In 2018 we were delighted to join J C and Sura when they celebrated their Golden Wedding on a cruise ship on Beira Lake.

    It was a heart breaking experience to see J C so incapacitated after his CVA in 2020. We can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to have such limited mobility, and more than that inability to communicate .

    Mahendra and I continued to visit him weekly since then, till the COVID pandemic in late 2021 put an end to our regular visits. During that time, I was so happy when JC responded to music joining Mahendra in actually singing old favourites like Bernadine, Speedy Gonzales and Bailas. But alas it did not progress on to clear speech .

    I have to place on record the amazing devotion, and love and care that Sura lavished on JC for the past 3 years and 3 months .She left no stone unturned to do her best. She is a shining example for us all.... being herself not in perfect health having severe benign tremor and a THR.

    We have to find solace in the fact that the suffering JC went through is over now and pray for strength and comfort for Sura. May he obtain the supreme bliss of nirvana.
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the subject of our "Dark knight" JC, he and I have always joked about our beautiful dark complexion, the envy of many pale skinned unfortunates! I used to tell him that in school days, the residents of Havelock town were frightened in the evening by the spectacle of a ghost on a push cycle wearing only white running shorts! He told me in turn that unless the light in the room where we are is turned "on" with a high wattage bulb, he cannot see me! He and Sura are always on my list to see when I visit Sri Lanka and the time I spend with them is so entertaining and wonderful. I recall his days at Royal, the tall and lean athlete who ran so elegantly. He was a few years senior to me and it was quite a shock to be on first names terms with a man I admired when we became batchmates. A wonderful guy with a great sense of humour although he was very much a "black-white" man and wasn't in the "shades of grey" school of thought. I feel privileged to have him as a close friend. I shall miss him enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FROM THE ROYAL COLLEGE UNION
    THE ROYAL COLLEGE UNION announces with a deep sense of sorrow and regret, the demise of Dr. J C Fernando, Vice President of the Royal College Union.

    The cremation will take place on the 19th of April ,at the “New Crematorium”, General Cemetery, Borella at 11.30 am.

    RCU members are requested to attire in college tie and gather near the Kithulwatta Road entrance to the cemetery at 11.00 am, on 19th of April 2023 to pay last respects to this distinguished old Royalist.

    It is with great gratitude that we place on record his untiring contributions towards the development of the school and the Royal College Union.

    May he attain the supreme bliss of Nibbana!

    Secretary
    Royal College Union

    ReplyDelete
  14. MANIL KATUGAMPOLA
    Sura please accept my deepest sympathies. J.C was a much loved and respected batch mate . May he attain the supreme bliss of Nirvana.
    Manil Hettiaratchi

    ReplyDelete
  15. SUSHEILA THIAGARAJAH
    Sorry to hear the sad news
    Mag his soul rest in peace
    Susheila

    ReplyDelete
  16. JC was my "body partner" from the second semester of our first year in Medical College. Strangely, I was paired with Indra Anandasabapthy for the first semester, and not with the person (JC) who was sitting next to me during the lectures. (I have no idea why that happened.) My brothers found the term "body partner" very intriguing and amusing. JC and I
    were in many study groups and ward classes together, and he was a great source of entertainment during those sessions. Between the late V Ganesan (who sat on the other side of me) and JC Fernando I was privy to a lot of gossip emanating from the men's common room!
    I was thinking of those good/bad old days, and it occurred to me that JC was the one who taught me the basics of ballroom dancing! I didn't go to Vivil De Kauwe or anyone like that. I probably stepped on JC's toes quite a bit! I did learn from other batch mates as well, but it was much later in life that I actually decided to take a few ballroom dancing classes. JC was often the life of the party and livened up the room with his presence. I will definitely miss hanging out with him and enjoying his prawn curry on my visits to Colombo.
    Sura, please look after yourself. You did your very best for JC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. MAHESWARY NADARAJAH
    My deepest sympathies to his family.May his soul RIP.Maheswary
    Nadarajah
    (Singharayer)

    ReplyDelete
  18. FROM SHANTY NALLIAH
    Very sorry to hear the sad news about JC. My deepest condolence to Sura and family. Shanthy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another colleague I miss so much,,Zita, posted this comment when ND wrote about JC in 2020. Here it is.---Maybe Zita usually brings up the rear in comments or other blog functions usually, but it is with sincere admiration I read Nihal's masterpiece of an account of an unforgettable, unique character of our Batch'62 i.e. Janaka Chandana Fernando,(the full name is less familiar but I use it as it is so beautiful!) This sort of article touching upon all the important aspects of a person, reminding us of many things we already admired about him and informing the reader of many other hidden gems about all that goes to make a person, is unique to our blog and it marks out this batch as outstanding in medical achievements, sports and even literary prowess. I am eternally grateful to the pioneers of Blog'62 for making immortal, many things about our experience during those crucial years when we met such fabulous characters like J C. He won our hearts then, and we now read with pleasure all the hidden gems about this very valued member of Batch'62! Zita

    ReplyDelete
  20. K Balachandra
    JC have been a long standing friend at the medical college and later. He had been a good entertainer and had been a good adviser when faced with problems , a great athlete who succumbed to his conditions. My sympathy goes to Sura and family. . . Please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  21. During the last three years after JC developed a stroke, I used to visit him in his apartment in Nawala regularly. Although his speech was badly affected he managed to communicate with his body language. Sura used to give me calls regularly seeking advice for a variety of problems. Her last call was to inform me that JC had difficulties in swallowing. At the Kanatte funeral, I was able to sympathise personally with Sura and her two daughters Nilanthi and Ruvani, and brother Asoka.
    As most of you all are well aware our 1962 Medical Batch had five groups of old Royalists, who entered the First Form at RC in 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954 and 1955. JC belonged to the 1951 group together with Lakshman Weerasooriya, Batuwitage, Bandula Jayasekera and Balakumaran.
    JC is remembered by old Royalists of our vintage for winning plenty of sprint events as well as relays. His pet events were the 220 yards and 440 yards. After JC left school, his younger brother Asoka who was with us in school, excelled in the same events at the Colombo South and Public Schools Championships.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sad to hear that JC is not with us any more.A very popular member in our batch,friendly and mixed freely among batch mates. Baila King,excellent sense of humour,Public schools athletic champion,ever ready for a cup tea punt and the list goes on.
    I shared a room for six months with JC at the LRH during our internship.We got on well but he was not amused with a batch mate who sometimes used to mess up his bed during his off week ends.
    Mahen please convey my deepest sympathies to Sura and family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Had a chat with Sura today. Quite understandably she is very sad and doing her best to come to terms. She wants to acknowledge and thank all those who posted on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. From an old article in the Sunday Times, Sri Lanka
    Dr. 'JC' Fernando heads ORAC
    Dr. J.C. Fernando, captain of the victorious 1958 team was elected chairman of the Old Royalists Athletic Club (ORAC) at its Annual General Meeting held at the College premises.

    Dr. J.C. Fernando, captain of the victorious 1958 team was elected Chairman for this year. Dr. Fernando, well known as 'JC' has contributed immensely to Royal College in athletics, cricket and rugby football with his coaching, physical fitness and sports medicine.

    ReplyDelete