Monday, March 13, 2023

Identity and self-image - teachers and students in our days. Mahendra Gonsalkorale

Identity and self-image - teachers and students in our days

Mahendra "Speedy" Gonsalkorale

Philosophers and religions debate whether or not a self exists. Is there a soul which persists after death in the afterlife? Plato firmly believed in the self, formed through the acquisition of knowledge while Aristotle believed in an eternal soul which formed the basis of self. The Buddhist philosophy does not accept a permanent soul and refers to a stream of consciousness which manifests as body-mind entities through many lives. The question, "Does the death of a person result in the birth of another?" remains unanswered. It is quite ironic that a lot of self-deniers spend a lot of time telling their not-existent selves that there is no self and follow courses and seminars on how they should not worry about self as self does not exist. Who knows? I don’t.

Most humans, by nature, have a sense of self. The little infant looks at himself one day and sees that he has a separate body and that others around him also recognise him as a separate entity and then the realisation, “it is Me, it is I!” dawns. A sense of self and identity are interwoven. A sense of self often gives rise to a strong desire to project an image of the right kind to others around you. This is more than physical, although the physical aspect is of great importance (traditionally to women, although men are not excluded). The desire to be seen variously as attractive, intelligent, powerful, creative, influential, charismatic, talented, and to be loved, admired, feared, and respected are all aspects of self-image. The quickest way into someone’s heart is to say how wonderful he/she is, and the fastest way to be excluded is to say how awful they are! Of one admired by somebody but hated by most, it is often heard said by this somebody who loves the unloved one, “He/she is not such a bad person after all as he/she really likes me” (He likes me, that is what matters!). We spend a lot of time and energy pushing our identity as we wish it to be seen, and it can vary according to the time and situation, i.e., context. The tyrannical teacher in the Ward, who appears to have forgotten how to smile, is all sweet and honey at the party he gives at the end of the “sig” at his home in the all-important presence of his beautiful wife as she fusses over us. Many of us, whether we like it or not, are like that- we are multiple personalities within an ever-changing body in an ever-changing world.

I now turn to identity and image as applied to some of our teachers in our Faculty days.

One group (typical examples are Path Cooray, Prof Rajasuriya, and Prof Ranasinghe wanted to cast an authoritarian image demanding respect and obedience.

A second group, as personified by Lester Jayawardena, Oliver Pieris, Dr  Lionel, Dr Wijenaike, preferred the image of the knowledgeable and brilliant teacher. They generally also cast an image of friendliness without losing hierarchical respect.

A third group appeared unconcerned with physical aspects such as formal dress (a feature of Group 1) and wore comfortable clothes rather than formal, such as an open shirt without a tie. Persons like Bull Seneviratne, Carlo Fonseka belonged to this group. They were also generally kind and cheerful

Then there was the fourth Group who seemed to hate the job they only did for reasons other than the love of teaching and were content to spit out without being concerned whether the spit landed where it was intended. I leave you to guess who I am thinking of!

Looking at our own Batch, we had the Romeos who were well dressed and well groomed, the gregarious who craved to be liked, wanted and admired, the scholastic who revelled in being recognised as “clever buggers”, the aggressive who walked with a stagger and purveyed his territory and picked fights with competitors, the meek who were always hiding and disappearing, the insecure ones looking for compliments, admirers and anybody willing to be his friend, the studious who had no genuine interest in his colleagues, or for that matter, in any person, probably ending up in a laboratory or morgue.

Among the girls, there were the beautiful who knew they were beautiful and attractive but took great pains to pretend they were not thinking that way and others who didn’t want to pretend and relished the hungry looks of easy prey. Some liked the boys but thought it best not to reveal this, although they sometimes wore very revealing dresses! There were the not-so-attractive who resented the attention given to the attractive and cultivated an air of indifference. Some girls were sadly not gorgeous and pretended that they didn’t care as they came here to be doctors one day, not somebody’s wife, and those who had an overpowering desire to pollute the atmosphere around them with overpowering scents and perfumes which heralded their appearance and lasted long after their disappearance.

But we all liked to be liked, and we all didn't want to be ostracised. The image we wanted to display was affected by these human wants.

And all this was a microcosm of the actual world around us! Long live those memories.

I hope to see lots of comments on my light-hearted essay.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mahen, thank you for this thought provoking essay. In response to the first part about what the great philosophers believed and taught, here's my response: this is what they "believed." they didn't really know or back up their beliefs with proof. We'll all find out later who is correct! but I'm not going to worry about it now. I personally believe that we all have an undefinable soul, but I cannot prove it.
    About the second part of your essay; when I was in Medical College, I did what was expected of me as a medical student. I studied, showed up for exams, and didn't really care if someone else did better. Like most of us I was intimidated by the tyrannical teachers you wrote about. I enjoyed the company of the new friends I was making, both male and female. I didn't "dress to impress" others. If I wore something nice, it was because I liked it. I guess I had a reasonable "sense of self." I don't think I craved attention or affection.
    Fast forward to the present. I think I have a better defined sense of who I am. I don't follow conventions blindly. I try to express my opinions without picking fights. I believe my "advanced age" has given me more freedom to be who I am. I don't feel I have to project an "image." I am who I am in private and in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the studious who had no genuine interest in his colleagues, or for that matter, in any person, probably ending up in a laboratory or morgue."

    I laughed out loud when I read that line. I did end up in a laboratory and spent some of my professional time in the morgue, but I really don't think I fit that stereotype. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for commenting. I read them with great interest! Yes, you are quite correct about not just the old sages but even the newer more recent ones just expressing opinions. If the mist has cleared and the view is clear we would all "see" and "know".

    my comments were partly in jest in an attempt to provoke readers. a gentle prod (I hope) to wake them up and think about these interesting concepts. But seriouslly, I do believe that we are conscious (even subconsciously conscious) of the need to be loved, wanted and valued. Sadly, some unfortunate people get their want satsifed by being noticed for things we generally consider abhorent - so powerful is the need. Contentious? Of course it is!

    Just look at image and current trens. Almosyt all young (and not so young ) men have carefully managed facial cutaneous obvergrowth and almost all ladies have a lock of hair falling down on their faces needing a constant toss of the head to get the hair back on the head, till it falls again requiring the same action, If you don't believe me, just look around withy your eyes open. Watch a lady ptresented on TV and count the number of times she tosses her head! We all want to belong and be noticed and paradoxically notcied by by not being noticed through conforminhg to the norm. Enough said, over to you mates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I am appalled at the number of people obsessed with their image, and those who are constantly posting their selfies on social media. Social media never captured my imagination. It only gives me headaches, when people keep forwarding me bits of (fake) wisdom they find on FB or wherever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going back to our teachers, those who always wore full suit and tie must have had the notion that it was part of the costume for the performance and equally, I wonder whether those who didn’t conform were rebels or just those who wanted to be comfortable and acted accordingly. As for the female of the species, I genuinkey felt that there was no sexual discrimination operating within the teachers. People like Mrs Yoganayhsn, Phyllis Costa were admired and respected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thay last annoymous comment was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well put together article exploring what the true reality of self-identity is. We perhaps overlook this reality, as it merges with the ups and downs of everyday life. I am now questioning the aspects of my self-image which as you say keeps morphing with time and varying situations. Thank you for sharing these thought provoking insights, uncle M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Shanali. This is a very fruitful area for doscussion but I failed to evoke much of a response! You are quite right is in your interpretation of what I said as a kind of morphing of self-image with time.

      Delete