Friday, October 21, 2022

KUMAR GUNAWARDANE POEM SERIES NO 2

NEW FEATURE!

Introducing The KUMAR GUNAWARDANE POEM SERIES - Kumar's Poetry Korner

This is No: 2. No 1 (Encounters)appeared on September 28th 2022

Another nostalgic short poem from our romantic poet Kumar Gunawardane

JEAN

The, midday Sun,

Has set the world on fire,

I drag my weary feet,

To the dead classroom.

 

A vision arises from the steaming asphalt,

The colleen who haunts my dreams,

Walking towards me,

Tome balanced on head,

Honing her catwalk.

 

We pause,

She smiles sweetly,

I’m speechless,

We resume our ways,

A fluke of fortune.

Lost for ever.

 

Background to the poem.

Jean was a veritable Venus. Every morning she walked to school on the narrow road bordering STC. Inevitably there were whistles and catcalls from rowdy youths lolling on the fives courts. She tolerated this gamely and never complained. At midday, she would return after lunch at home. I would walk back after a meal at my aunt’s house. That was when we met face to face.

Her brother Teddy and I played cricket in the U 16 team and were good buddies. I told another cricket chum Mano P, I could easily have asked him to introduce me to her. He said, "Kumar, you wouldn’t have known what to do".

Sad but true.

Kumar….

9 comments:

  1. I am very happy to start posting as usual as this is what Zita would have wanted. She was passionate about the Blog and would have told me "Mahendra, you must continue as usual, that would really please me". That is typical of Zita. We shall miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kumar
    Thank you for that elegant poem of love/infatuation. Memories of unrequited love must litter our past. From Cleopatra and Mark Antony to Rama and Sita stories of love have embellished our lives. But we have found our own to love and cherish, until death do us part.. Despite the passage of years age hasn't dimmed our love of ROMANCE and the tingle it brought to the chordae tendineae all those years ago.
    Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kumar

    Enjoyed your poem. Opportunity lost. “I am speechless” rings a bell. During the course of conversation in later years with a much admired batch mate, I mentioned that a friend of mine adored her. The light hearted response was, “Ay kiwwe natte” (Why didn’t he tell me?”).

    I have fond memories of the Five courts: playing Fives and tennis ball cricket inside and watching the world go by from outside. STC had the only five courts in Ceylon. They were a gift to the school from Dr RL Heyman. What a shame a unique piece of Thomian history was demolished to make room for new buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora, have you ever thought of writing your biography? It wil be a best seller (may not win the Booker Prize ! but that's OK).

      Delete
    2. Mahen
      Unlike Kumar and Nihal,my writing skills are limited.my only claim to fame in the literary field is that a first cousin of mine Romesh Gunasekera nearly won the Booker prize about thirty years ago(he was runner up)

      Delete
  4. Kumar, Thank you for another beautiful poem! You know, you should never have listened to friends like Mano P.!! What does he know? I just want to also say that is not always necessary to add the background story. The mystery and mystique adds to the poem. (Just my two cents!)
    It is too bad that there aren't too many romantics left in the world. At least, I haven't met any recently :(((

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kumar, Once again you have laid bare the fleeting longings of your youthful heart in beautiful verse. You are a true romantic as well as a fine poet.
    Thank you for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so nice to see you on the blog Rohini. O am ever ready to publish a post from you- a short verse perhaps?

      Delete
  6. COMMENT FROM DHUSHY VEDAVANAM
    A beautiful romantic poem based on a real life situation. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing it Kumar

    ReplyDelete