Monday, July 11, 2022

Mini Reunion with Anton Ambrose

 MINI REUNION WITH ANTON AMBROSE

Sunday 10th July 2022. Satay House, Paddington, London.

Mahendra “Speedy” Gonsalkorale.

When Anton told me that he was visiting London in July and would love to meet Batchmates, it was an opportunity not to be missed. It was not the best time of the year for many colleagues who would have loved to come, and many apologies were received. Finally, I managed to have five Batch colleagues in the group of 10, which included Anton’s son Serjan
(not sure I got the spelling right) and daughter-in-law Manori, Anton’s fiancé Sharon, Indrani Antonypillai’s charming daughter Rose and Bora’s wife Harshi. The Batch members were Anton Ambrose, Mahendra Gonsalkorale, Douglas Mulkirigama, Harsha Boralessa and Indrani Antonypillai.

The venue, Satay House, famous for its authentic Malaysian cuisine, was easily accessible and, of course, well known to us as we have had many mini-reunions there in the past.

Nihal (ND) and Shanti had to withdraw because of illness, and Sakuntala Balakumar, Sunil Abeysuriya, and Susheila had other commitments. We missed all of them.

A welcome “surprise” was the brief Video appearance (on WhatsApp) of Zita, arranged with me by her son Rohan. The mobile phone was passed around so that Zita could be seen and heard. Zita would have loved to have come, but sadly her illness made travel impossible. We missed you Zita!


The meal was enjoyed by all, and Anton produced a bottle of superb Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and some lovely chocolates! His son and his wife sadly had to leave us early, but who could blame them – the lucky couple managed to get tickets for the Wimbledon Men’s Final!

I must thank Pram for introducing me to her contact Ayesha at Satay House, who was most helpful in planning the menu. The food was so tasty!


We spent many happy hours eating, drinking, reminiscing and of course, we had plenty of laughter! 

Our joy was somewhat tempered as we were all so concerned and worried by the unfolding drama in Sri Lanka- saddened, worried and anxious.

13 comments:

  1. From Anton Ambrose. Ty speedy for all your effort to plan the reunion I had lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a great pleasure to see my batchmates. I missed this great opportunity to meet them at Satay House, our famous venue. Thank you Mahen for the wonderful account of the event and the fine photos.
    Anton certainly has not changed. I will most certainly try and catch up with him before they leave our shores. Meanwhile I wish Anton and the family a jolly good holiday in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Douglas Mulgirigama. Thank you Mahen for organising a very pleasant get together. It was great meeting Anton and his family. Enjoyed the occasion very much. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Harsha Boralessa. Thank you Mahen for organising a wonderful get
    together.We really enjoyed meeting Anton and Sharon
    and all of you

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHANTI NALLIAH. I am sorry I missed this special occasion meeting Anton and family. Anton looks well and happy. Thanks Speedy for the photos. Enjoy the sunshine. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. DHUSHY VEDAVANAM - So glad everyone enjoyed themselves.
    SUSHEILA - Sorry to have missed the occasion
    Anton looks good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mahendra
    You are taking a lot of interest In keeping our batchmates together in organizing mini reunions and looking after the blog by publishing posts one after the other. Well done.
    I was able to visualise the latest appearances of our batchmates. They haven't changed much. You all must have enjoyed yourself no doubt.
    Anton you must have enjoyed your trip to UK with your family.
    Wish you all, the very best.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chira for your kind words. Your support is always appreciated. I only hope that although not many commented, they all enjoyed seeing and reading about Anton

      Delete
  8. Hi Speedy, Thanks for the photographs and the account of the mini reunion. I would have loved to be there particularly as Anton and I were Co -Interns with Ariyaman Mahanama Mendis way back in 1967 at DMH.
    We had to work hard but we enjoyed ourselves . Remember the parties we had in Menda's home, outings he organized for us Anton? I particularly remember the fun we had at St Michele playing cricket and generally fooling around. My love and best wishes to you Anton..
    Big thank you to Speedy for the effort you make to keep us updated . Very happy to see that you have fully recovered from your bout of COVID.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commenting Suri. I am sure Anton would have appreciated it and also will remember the good times you had together. Yes, I am fully recovered and back to playing golf etc..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last comment was from me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to begin by apologizing for the extended absence from the blog. I don't have much of an excuse except that I have been rather preoccupied with the goings on in Sri Lanka, worried about the situation, wondering if my family members and others are able to get their prescription meds etc. So far so good, they tell me! As I write this there is cautious optimism, as Sri Lanka faces a parliamentary vote tomorrow. Prayers are being offered, fingers and toes are being crossed! Let's hope for the best.
    It was lovely to see the photos you shared, Mahen. Thanks for your enthusiasm in getting the gang together. I hope Anton and family had a good time. At least a few of you were able to make it. I find that sometimes summer is a difficult time to get people together, because people make plans with their friends and family weeks ahead.
    As I write this, all of you in England are baking in the extreme heat. So sorry that you have to suffer through all that. I hope you are being careful, staying hydrated etc., you know the drill...
    I hope the weather will improve soon. Thinking of you all. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Srianee. Yes, the SL situation remains tricky and I do hope that a consensus candidate will emerge tomorrow and Ran-ill will become an also-Ran! The next step is the most important, I e.. an all party temporary Regime followed by restoration of 19A followed by general elections within 6 to 9 months. Anton is not keen on standing for Presidency, being the modest chdo he is!
    Don't worry about your temporary absence from the Blog, we all have plenty of other things to attend to.

    ReplyDelete