Wednesday, June 1, 2022

GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY-Suriyakanthie and Mahendra

 GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

Suriyakanthie and Mahendra Amarasekera 

I can truly say Mahendra is my Best Friend as well as my Husband” 

Suri and Mahendra celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary on the 3rd of June this year. It is a significant and tremendous milestone in the life of a married couple. 

Many in our Batch have achieved it and I am aware of only a few: Ranjit Dambawinna, Rajan Ratnesar, JC and Sura, Kumar G, Kusuma Ruberu, Zita Subesinghe, Bora, ConBala, Suji Maligaspe and now Suri. But I am sure there are many more.

The 50th Wedding Anniversary is so-called because an ancient tradition called for a husband to give his beloved wife a golden necklace, garland or wreath on their 50th Wedding Anniversary. The “gold” symbol represents the health and strength of the marriage. The other Wedding anniversary names common to most nations include Wooden (5th), Tin (10th), Crystal (15th), China (20th), Silver (25th), Pearl (30th), Ruby (40th), Golden (50th), and Diamond (60th). 

Suri wanted to share this poem she wrote for her Ruby Anniversary with one obvious change to bring it up to date. 

Was it so long ago...yet in memories as clear as yesterday

We remember how life became a shared adventure gay

Our first shy meetings, our first tender kiss

Earnest wows exchanged on a day such as this.

 

Those years when love’s magic played a vital part

Are gone, yet how much richer our love has grown

Deep as the crimson at a rose’s heart

When to the sun, her petals be full-blown

 

We too had our shares of ups and downs

Triumphs, disappointments and challenges to face,

Yet through it all we always found

The steadfast presence of God’s love and Grace

 

Five decades on, now at a slower pace we live,

We shared a thousand dreams, yet we could not guess

How when our April faded, God would give

As recompense, this dearer tenderness.

 

From Suri: “I would like to say that our marriage was indeed made in heaven. We had each gone through a traumatic experience of being badly let down. We were introduced by two well-meaning " uncles" who decided to play cupid. It's amazing that we had never ever met before....considering that both of us had close mutual friends, and my own sister was one year junior to Mahendra in Law College.

Mahendra was always very active at the Law Medical match walking off with prizes for his Cheeky posters. I even remember one that was banned (but was shown surreptitiously) .... One of Marylin Monroe's grave. With a caption, “Here she sleeps alone at last" and quite a few others .. a sketch of a Muslim gentleman.... captioned "A man with an eternal drawback" and one of two copulating dogs captioned "Please release me let me go"! I remember the posters clearly but not the artist who was displaying them!

As we got to know each other better we found so much common ground it’s unbelievable....the most important was our steadfast Faith and Trust in Jesus.

In addition to our love for music, dancing, a sense of humour..... being able to see the funny side and even laugh at ourselves.  we discovered that Pat Boone was our favourite singer ... In fact, Mahendra was the President of the Pat Boone fan club!
 
I remember Mahendra staying up with me while I crammed for my Final FRCA at the Post Graduate Centre in Farnborough Hospital. . I used to get the keys for the Centre and be in the library, while Mahendra used to go to the auditorium and play the grand piano so that I could get a whisper of the sound. It gave me a sense of security knowing that I was not alone in the building at dead of night.

The only thing we did not share was my love of reading ... I am a book worm.  I can't go to sleep without reading a book ... While Mahendra only reads the Newspapers! In fact, the first little squabble we had was when I was so engrossed in à book and didn't hear him ask me a question even when he repeated it! I decided immediately that giving up reading was a small sacrifice to make...

Eventually, I did go back to reading when Mahendra was not around. Now so many years later Mahendra does not grumble when I keep a reading light on till late!.

Suri and Mahendra have a daughter, Manique and a son, Sean and six grandchildren.

I am sure all our colleagues will join me in congratulating them and wishing them many more happy years of wedded bliss.

Suri and Mahendra Batch celebration in Colombo



34 comments:

  1. To dear Suri and Mahendra
    What a wonderful achievement. A wedding is a life changing event and holds a special place in the hearts of the couples. It does re-ignite the flame of love. My heartiest congratulations as you celebrate your golden anniversary. I wish you lots of love and happiness in your married life as you grow old together. I send you thoughtful wishes and happiness during this amazing milestone in your married life. Please accept my heartfelt wishes. May God Bless you and walk with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nihal for your good wishes. We do appreciate the. By the way you failed to mention the fact that you knew Mahendra long before I did, being a school mate and just one year ahead ,!

      Delete
    2. Suri
      I do remember Mahendra very well from my Wesley days. He was always vibrant and happy. What came to mind writing this was our sojourn at Kings College Hospital in Denmark Hill when we met up occasionally at lunch in the canteen. Your story about the Amarasekera connection never fails to raise a smile. Kings was an intensive training and hard work but well worth the trouble in the long run. You must remember Dr MVP Peiris' daughter who was a dermatology registrar there. I lost contact and heard she was a consultant at Coventry from Sumathipala. There was another senior SL public health guy who I met in the canteen but cannot recall the name. Dr Anton Fernando was a locum in ENT at Lewisham who appeared occasionally for lunch. I simply cannot believe that was nearly 45 years ago. How time has flown. So lovely to hear that you both have achieved that important milestone in your married life. God Bless

      Delete
    3. Thank you Nihal. Yes I remember how one of the Anaesthetic Registrars at Kings came rushing up to me and say "Hi Kanthie , I met your husband in the Xray dept"
      I said "Impossible, my husband Is a lawyer and know he is appearing in the High , Courts in London today "

      I was curious so I walked up to Cray and found that they were talking about you. It was indeed lovely to chat to you off and on.
      I am so sorry that you have not been able to join us for any of the batch reunions held in Sri Lanka.
      But it's nice to be able to be in touch through the Batch Blog. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Dear Suri and Mahendra, Congratulations on getting to this major milestone in your life! I wish you many more years of good health and happiness together.
    Marriage is not easy (don't I know it! 🤣) One has to be so patient, tolerant and understanding to make it work.
    Suri, I enjoyed reading your poem and writeup about your life together.
    Wish you both the very best, and many blessings as you journey onwards together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Bunter, my Sister from another mother, Thank you. I truly value our friendship and the relationship I have , not only with you but also your family as well as your extended family. I got so used to calling your aunt " Sudu Amma" She was indeed like another mother to me as well as your own sweet mother.
      It was a privilege to be with your dear sister Haridrani when she had her ankle arthrodesis done by Rienzie P.
      I remember with gratitude how you enabled me snatch a few hours of sleep when doing Casualty duty during Surgical appointments

      I was so glad that I could be with you in the labour room when your elder daughter was born ... I can go on and on .

      I am so glad that our close friendship has stood the test of time. Looking forward to seeing you face to face next time you come to SL So very sorry that we couldn't meet this year due to COVID in my family , and then you too succumbing to it. God Bless you my dearest friend . Stay safe.

      Delete
    2. Suri, I saw this comment several days ago and decided to wait until I had some time to comment. I had the delightful distraction of visiting daughters during the past two weeks! Thank you for your memories of my family. Yes, my mother and her siblings were all very special people.
      Our friendship has withstood long 'pauses' when other responsibilities took up our time and attention. I'm glad that we have reconnected, and I promise that we will meet more than once on my next visit to Colombo.

      Delete
  3. Indra AnandasabapathyJune 2, 2022 at 9:34 AM

    Congratulations Suri and Mahendra. Join the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Indra Thank you very much. When did you Celebrate your Golden Anniversary? Wish you both many more years of happiness together... May your Love for each other grow more tender and strong with each passing year.

      Delete
  4. Indra, one more Golden couple then. Congrats to all you Golden Oldies (in tne nicest possible way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Speedy
      I think you can add Kusuma( I was bridesmaid at her Wedding), Suji .she was in the UK when I got married she was already married and Zita to your list of Goldie's . I remember going for Zita's wedding in Negambo .

      Delete
  5. Suri and Mahendra
    Heartiest congratulations to you both for celebrating your golden wedding aniversary. Let me wish you both the very best and hope you continue to walk together lifes forward journey with very happy wedded bliss.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chira. . Am I correct in assuming that you too have passed this milestone ?.

      Delete
    2. Suri
      No, I got married in 1979 after I came home with my Fellowship.
      I have another 7 years more to reach this milestone.
      Chira

      Delete
  6. could readers please add more couples you know who have reached the magic 50 wedding anniversary please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Speedy I have given 3 more for your list.., Kusuma,, Sujatha, and Zita in an earlier comment

      Delete
    2. Sorry Speedy, I was scrolling the comments and saw that you already have Kusuma and Zita on your list. Anyway you can add Suji

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Suri and Mahendra, May you enjoy many many more years of blissful wedded life. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rohini. I do hope I will have the fortune to meet you face to face.... I have so many lovely memories about you ..... The most enchanting was your beautiful Manipuri Dance at the fund raising SCM Concert we had at K G Hall Take care

      Delete
  8. Congratulations and best wishes Suri and Mahen on joining the fifty club, from Kanthi and me. We wish you many, many more years of happiness, good health and bliss together.
    Mahen, Bora and Harshi and Kumar (Con) Bala and Loretta are already in the club. Not sure about Sydney; Bora will know.
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kumar. I added thme to the list. ny more,anybody??

      Delete
    2. Kumar and Mahendra
      Most probably Sydney and Lilani are already in the fifty club.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Kumar for your good wishes . It was great to catch up on news of you at the last batch reunion you attended. Seems so long ago that we travelled home from Eye Hospital Junction to Dehiwela Junc where we got off. I only had to cross Galle road to get home...
      but you had to get another bus to go up hill street. I.often drive past your house on my way to the J pura .Hospital. Hope we have another reunion soon ..
      Before we all get too senile !to travel.

      Delete
  9. Suri and Mahendra
    Heartiest congratulations on reaching this wonderful milestone.
    Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Borra. I sometimes wonder where the years have.flown. It seems likeyesterdar

      Delete
    2. Sorry I must have been so sleepy and pressed publish before I completed the message. So to continue it seems like yesterday that Harshi and I were interns at DMH and you haunted the place as you were courting her.
      We used to give the on call room a wide berth The atmosphere was simply sizzling !!!!!

      Both of you must have passed the golden milestone several years ago. My heartiest congratulations and best wishes as you journey on together. hand in hand .

      The way both of you support our College us so great taking Anaesthesia PG's under your wing year after year, and being their foster parents. May God continue to bless you you both and use you to be a blessing to others.

      Delete
    3. Suri
      You remember the good old days very well.I confused the person who brought the on call book and knocked on the room door.
      Harshi should take all the credit for organising the training for the Anaesthesia Post Graduates. Deepthi and Nala mentioned that the PG's used to refer to Old Church Hospital Romford as Boralesgamuwa Hospital.Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  10. FEOM ZITA
    Suri and Mahendra, Happy Golden Anniversary! I remember your wedding. Was great to be part of it. And now this unique landmark! All the best! Good Bless you! With lots of love from Zita, Joe and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Zita
      Thank you for your wishes for our anniversary. You were one of the few batch mates who were able to attend our wedding.
      Those were austerity days remember ? You were allowed to have only 75 guests for the reception, if there were more people, only a drink could be sse

      Delete
    2. Contd.... Only a drink could be served !
      I remember that Suji sent me 10 yards of the best Bridal tulle for
      my veil from UK as her wedding present, as she knew of the scarcity of things here in SL. I was so excited I came rushing down to Colombo from Kurunegala where I was serving as a Junior Anaesthetist, to collect the parcel . I brought my notice of marriage as proof and the letter Suji had sent me mentioning the gift.

      The chaps at the GPO.told me that I need am import permit to have more than 2 yard released and said they could cut off 2 yards only and give !!
      I was devastated and rushed to the Import Control Department, and had to almost go down on my knees to get the required permit. Finally after securing the document went back again to the GPO to have the chap at the counter where you pay the import tax, closing his counter window. !!. I just couldn't take any more and burst into tears. The guy looked sympathetic, and glanced at my application.which gave details of the intended bridegroom. He said " ah doctor you are getting married to a person from Moratuwa ... I am also from Moratuwa I want to help you" and accepted my payment! At last the precious parcel was released to me. I was so relieved as I wanted to save up all the leave available for the Wedding and honeymoon

      About 10 brides have used the veil since then and it is carefully preserved ... Packed and sealed in blue paper to preserve the white color !

      Delete
  11. Pram, thank you for sending the group photo of batch mates at the golden wedding anniversary celebration. I have added it to the post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last Friday (3rd of June 2022) Suriyakanthi and Mahendra hosted a grand party at their residence ,in Hill Street Dehiwela. It started with religious observances and all of us had a grand time. As you could observe from the group photograph, there were six of our batchmates, three from Methodist College, Suriyakanthi's old school(Swyrie, Pram and Chandra), two from Visakha Vidyalaya (Sura and Kusuma) and a single male, an Old Royalist.
    One of Suriyakanthi's brothers spoke to me and told me that he had worked in the EPF Department of the Central Bank in the YMBA building in the Fort, where quite a lot of us worked for LKR 5.00 per day, which was a lot of cash at that time,( in 1961 or 1962). On Fridays each of us received five very crisp five rupee notes, probably straight off the press!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lama for your comments. You say it was a grand celebration but in actual fact I was pressurized to restricting numbers as we were having the function in the home we had built, as we thought it was more meaningful.

      The space available forced me to restrict the numbers to 8O adults which meant I had to exclude many batch mates here in SL, my Colleagues at J Pura , where I worked for 30 years, and even my first cousins many who live close to me here in Dehiwela who I am very fond of. I do hope I have not upset anyone.

      You have commented that there are 3 Metho girls and two Vishakians. I wish to point our that I am an old girl of both schools .. Methodist College from Grade 5 to A levels and Vishaka for 3 months for 3 months from Jan to March 1962 !!

      You have commented that the girls all have jet black hair (obviously using hair color) and you alone have a head of silver ... The reason for this Lama is that here in SL grey hair is supposed to be "pasunu budhiye sankethayak" in a male while grey hair in a woman indicates she is a " naaki geheniyak" !

      Delete
  13. In the photograph one could observe six jet-blackheads (all of them XXs) and a lone XY providing the silver lining!

    ReplyDelete