Thursday, September 9, 2021

My exposure and experiences with astrology and Palmistry ND

My exposure and experiences with astrology and Palmistry

Dr Nihal D Amerasekera 

Palmistry or Cheiromancy originated in ancient India more than 5000 years ago and spread to China, Greece and Rome. Now, Palmistry as an art is practised worldwide. At present, there are three types of Palmistry, Indian, Western and Chinese.  The Western and Chinese Palmistry now show a significant divergence from the original Indian Palmistry. The Indian Vedic astrology is closely linked to the notions of karma. Palmists believe Palmistry is both a science and an art. Astrology originated in Babylon far back in antiquity around 2400 years ago. 

I grew up with my grandparents, both of whom were excellent palmists and astrologers. Friends and family got them to cast horoscopes and got their palms read. For them it was a hobby for which no money changed hands. When I was born at the Kandy hospital my grandma, was there with her watch recording the time of birth with accuracy. The local time in Ceylon was changed during World War II to what was called ‘War Time’. This caused enormous upheaval in the astrology community in getting the time correct for casting horoscopes. 

I grew up in a milieu with great belief in the ability to predict the future. We all had our astrological charts on rolled-up ola leaves.  My grandparents were well aware of its difficulties and shortcomings and also how, when and what information to divulge. My grandfather was a fine palmist and even when I was a young kid I was told that I will be a doctor and my future lies in another country. In retrospect, I am amazed how accurately he summed up my future. He predicted the lives of all my cousins, and in the fullness of years, I can acknowledge now, was done with remarkable accuracy.  I had a cousin who was my age and attended the local school with me. When I asked my grandpa about her future he never said a thing and never did. It brought us great sadness when she died tragically age 35. Were his predictions perfect? Not at all. He did get things wrong. Like all professionals, he had his own explanations for his mistakes. His clientele was family and friends. These errors came to light many years later and no one came to any serious harm. 

My grandfather did tell me that I had the perfect chart to be a good palmist. I did learn the basics from him. He often said “practice makes perfect” and that I should read palms regularly. I never had the inclination, the desire nor the time for it. There were too many other interests and distractions while growing up. Nevertheless, my interest in Palmistry never waned and lurked in a secure corner of my brain. I took it up again briefly after retirement just as a hobby. On a Mediterranean cruise I discovered Palmistry was a good ‘party trick’. The mere mention at the dinner table that I could read the palm generated great interest despite my disclaimer of being a novice. This indeed got the ladies lining up for their futures to be revealed. 

When I was a 1st-year medical student we visited a family friend in Kollupitiya. There was a large gathering. Amongst the crowd was a professional palm reader. They asked me if I want my palm read. Without much thought, I agreed and realised later that was a huge mistake. As there was an audience the palmist played to the gallery. Some very personal events of my future life were bared for all to hear causing me great embarrassment and distress. Much of the past was incorrect and in retrospect, the future predictions were a load of rubbish. In those days I wasn’t vocal enough and suffered in silence. I still blush when I think about it. This is an excellent example of how NOT to read the palm. There are many such unscrupulous quacks and rogues that hoodwink the people to earn a living. 

All palmists should learn the trade as an apprentice to a true professional who should teach them the art, obligations and the “bedside manner”.  Like in the Hippocratic oath they should be taught "primum non nocere ( first, do no harm). In my childhood I recall the village astrologers and palmists who frightened the people with impending doom and gloom and extracted money to counteract the forces of evil. Perhaps with increased literacy and learning these practices have now disappeared. It is my belief that like in every profession, for astrology and Palmistry too some have the special gift of instinct or intuition that set them apart from the rest. I have met a few of them who were brilliant professional astrologers and palmists who have made a name for themselves and make an honourable living. 

The art of predicting the future has always fascinated people all over the world. For a young person with all his/her life before them, there is that inevitable desire to know what is in store. Even In the 21st century that desire still exist. There are some who would say “why know the future, just get on with life”.  As a septuagenarian knowing the fragility of life I agree with that sentiment completely. Que sera sera - whatever will be will be. 

On a personal level, my future has been predicted with great accuracy and I have good reason to believe in both Palmistry and astrology. The accurate time of birth and proper casting of the horoscope is the key to its reliability. Even with all that the predictions are neither fool-proof nor flawless. Finding a genuine bona-fide palmist or astrologer is like searching for a needle in a haystack. 

There is a conflict between my scientific background and those imprecise and unregulated business of astrology and Palmistry. As a medical professional, I am trained only to trust evidence based information and have some cynicism and scepticism about matters I cannot prove logically. 

I never allowed my decisions to be guided by astrology or Palmistry. Those predictions have no guarantee of accuracy although it gave me a fairly clear picture of what the future held for me. I have lived my life as I wanted, making much of the decisions on the hoof. In the main I have no regrets. I have always believed that what happens to us in life is governed and influenced by the awesome forces of destiny.

21 comments:

  1. Mahendra
    Thank you for publishing my account on Palmistry and Astrology. I spent my early childhood with my grandparents and this indeed brings back many happy memories that I cherish. Their predictions for me often come to mind as events unfold. They concentrated more on the good and sugar-coated the bad. So much happens in our lives how on earth can anyone predict everything except to provide a summary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!! by the way Mahen there are many more lines and furrows on my face now than when I drew it many months ago. A prediction written in my DNA when I was born.

      Delete
  2. Nihal, I highly appreciate your inpartial analysis of astrology and Palmistry. One cannot put everything in the dustbin and say that it is rubbish.You have experienced both aspects of them. I am sure you may no your date and time of death. It is the practice and practice like any other job, as you have already explained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathy
      I'm glad you like my stories of long ago and far away. Predicting the end of life is unpleasant and not knowing its accuracy we may be on a hiding for nothing. Please let us know your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much Nihal for enhancing our knowledge about the history of astrology and palmistry.
    I was informed that there are Indian sages living down Kotalawela Gardens Bambalapitiya who read horoscopes. Apparently when you disclose your date and time of birth, they unroll some ola leaf manuscripts and mention the parents names. After trial and error they locate your personal manuscript and proceed to give a reading. If you so wish they give you a tape recording as well.
    I went to one of them many years ago but I cannot recall the details.
    May be I will visit them when I return to Colombo from Anuradhapura tomorrow night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sanath
    I enjoyed reading your story. I am aware of an Ashram in South India that have manuscripts as you have described. A person who went there many years ago told me of its accuracy for the past. As for the future I dont know as it takes time for events to unfold.I have not discussed this with him again.
    Palmists and astrologers relive the past for you to gain your confidence. I suppose it is reasonable to assume the future predictions are reliable if the past was done well. Do keep us informed of its validity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahen
    Just one more thing. I included the last sentence of my story to get your BP up. I know your view on destiny/fate and how passionate you are of its renunciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather suspected that! No worries, it takes more than a friendly disagreement to unnerve me!

      Delete
  6. In my early years of interest in Palmistry I was advised to read a book by Cheiro noted as one of the monographs on the subject. His real name was William Warner an Irishman. In India Astrology and Palmistry were the domain of the upper class Brahmins. He went to Bombay and studied under a Brahmin guru. After returning home Cheiro practiced palmistry and became so well known that palmistry was sometimes referred to as Chiromancy. I kept the book until I downsized and moved to London. There is a tendency for astrology and palmistry to get associated to clairvoyance and the occult for which I have absolutely no interest whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete

















  7. Nihal and Lama, I have heard of the stories that your horoscope is already written in ola leaves and are deposited in India. Sadhus/Brahmins who have mastered the subject were able to pull out the old leaves ones they get your date of birth. I presume the script is Sanskrit(Devanagari)Lama, I wish you get the correct Brahmin and not a quack for the reading of your already written, horoscope.
    Knowing the date, month and the year of death is of vital importance. One can plan ahead the writing of the will, passing of assets, and the funeral plan, rather than leaving it to your dependants to sort out the mess. It is very costly and the lawyers will rip off your family. The word Chiromancy is in my dictionary and is Palmistry. By the it is mentioned that Brahmins obtained divine knowledge by meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi. I am just reporting what I heard. A few years ago, I was told that some Indian sage has come and you first have to meet him somewhere is Wellawatte and register your name and address with a small deposit and he will book an appointment to read your ola leaf if is there- not all have records, in few days. When you go on the appointed date, he greets you and checks a few things with yuo. He gives your full name, date of birth and then started reading from a leaf. He says some general things and say your wife's name. If it is wrong, discards it and starts on another one and then gives your wife's name and date of marriage correctly. As you have not given those to him, you are staggered with amazement and tells him he is on the right track and then he gives his predictions which are on the whole very general. What I heard is that he has a contact in the Births and Marriage certificate office who gets the marriage details and sends them to the "sage"! How far this is true, I have no idea!

      Delete
    2. Suamthi, about "Knowing the date, month and the year of death is of vital importance", it could help if it is reliable and accurate although I dread to imagine how I would feel on the 4th when my death is to definitely be on the 5th!. Whether we know the date of running out of steam or not, succession planning as you quite rightly say is important. I was quite surprised to learn that some have not even made a will

      Delete
  8. Sumathy
    That is correct. There is a horoscope written for every time of the day, for everyday for everyone on earth. Whether that is fact or fantasy I really do not know. Never been there. It is mind boggling that this is at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have said enough on my views on thus difficult subject. Just to remind colleagues how the concept of time is seen by Physicists and Philosophers, the Block theory of the Universe, first proposed by Albert Einstein, best known for his theories on relativity, suggests that the past, present and future all coexist simultaneously, and the passage of time has no meaning; all events coexist side by side. According to the block universe theory, the universe is a giant block of all the things that ever happen at any time and at any place. On this view, the past, present and future all exist — and are equally real.
    I cannot fathom this at all and it is against all my intutive thinking. Not everybody accept this and there are variations on this.

    I am merely bringing it to your notice because if this is true, the future is determined and we all live in a strange eternalistic world where free-will, enterprise and ambition has no place. It could also please those who believe that ancient scribes have recorded future events in ola leaves. Who knows? I don't. I go by what I see is logical and acceptable but of course, I may be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nihal
    Thank you very much for educating us on the history of Palmistry.
    Your narration regarding Astrology was absorbing and interesting and thanks for sharing it with us. Chira

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chira
    Thank you for your supportive comment. Your continued support for the blog has made a tremendous difference to maintain the interest and keep it alive. Most grateful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mahen
    Just a thought that our future lies in our DNA. If there is a way to analyse we can know what lies ahead, about diseases etc The study of the DNA is actively pursued by high powered institutions. This even can change our predicted illnesses and the future. Is the DNA the Ola leaf of the 21st century?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DNA will never tell you that you will get married to X on date XX/yy/qq as these claim

      Delete
    2. Mahen
      😂😂😂DNA wont. You decide when you want to get married. The future bride and the registry office will know nearer the time.
      Hopefully!!
      I know what you mean. It is just a thought that the DNA will know much more about us than our palms and the ola leaf and will be infinitely more accurate.

      Delete
  13. The most fascinating aspect of this interesting exchange of views of Palmistry and Astrology is on how we make decisions based on what we observe, what we have been historically exposed to and for those of us who have been trained in the scientific method (all of us as doctors are) how we struggle with conflicting thoughts and arrive at a possible compromise. I would suggest that even that can change with time. Asstrology, Palmistry, Religion, merits and demerits of political idealogies, and even relatvely simpler things like trust (how many times have you heard a friend say of a person generally regarded as dishonest or untrustworthy, "he is not bad really, quite a nice chap" (the reason being that person was nice to HIM and it is very difficult not to like someone who likes you!).

    The debate on beliefs will go on forever and if you log the number of accepted beliefs as a proportion of the population, on the Y axis and time in years on the X axis, I am prepared to wager that the graph will be dipping year by year as more and more things move from the realm of speculation and faith, to proven facts.

    Even if we forget the basis for Astrology and Palmistry, those who accept it range from those who say that ALL events in a person's life are predictable (absolute determinism) to those who say that Astrology cannot make absolute predictions but only probabilities, e.g.,. A is likely to become a professional such as a Doctor or Lawyer and is likely to live to the age of 80 - The period from Jan-Feb is hazardous and you have to be extra careful.

    As you would have guessed by now, I don't belong to either camp although the latter is a bit more logical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mahen
    From personal experience I have good reason to believe that Astrology and Palmistry can predict the future. Even the best Astrologers and Palmists get things wrong. So what's the point of it all with no real guarantees . At my age I dont want to know the future anyway.

    ReplyDelete