Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Christmas and Festive wishes

Festive greetings from the Admin team of Lucky and Speedy.

 

Start with a warning – this is a long post!

These are difficult times without precedent. Time has a new meaning as has social distancing. Social distancing which was to be avoided is now encouraged. The Blog and other web utilities such as Zoom have helped to bring us closer together. As we keep saying, we are a unique batch and we share fond memories which will stay with us forever.

I am using Chira’s lovely Greeting painting (which was shown in the dialogue post) and finally, I am adding a festive song to bring some gaiety and laughter. 

Lucky and I like to wish all of you and your families a happy Christmas and New Year. In this post, I am including more than one author in a festive spirit of togetherness. 

Firstly Srianee (Bunter) is going to talk about Christmas. I loved reading it and I am sure you will too. 

Next, I am presenting someone we know well in a different light. We all know about his immense literary talents but how many of us knew about his artistic talents? 

Then a Christmassy musical offering from me. 

A Christmas poem by our Poetess, Zita. 

And finally a list of people who sent greetings to all in the Blog via email.

I do hope you enjoy going through this and do send your comments and if you have any problems, please email them to me and I shall post on your behalf. 

Speedy 

 (A) Christmas Present.  Srianee Dias 

A popular Christmas song that is being played over and over again on the radio these days goes “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. May your heart be light.  In a year our troubles will be out of sight…” (Those are the lyrics in the original Judy Garland version.)

As I sit in my home, with lots of snow outside, awaiting the arrival of my older daughter and son-in-law this evening, I am certainly hoping that will be the case next year.  Like Ebenezer Scrooge in ‘The Christmas Carol,’ I am visualizing ‘Christmas Past’ and imagining ‘Christmas Future’ as I cope with ‘Christmas Present.’ 

I know that many people are despondent and upset about the changes they have to make this year.  Some seem to have great difficulty in foregoing the familiar traditions that have been part of their lives for many years.  In my own experience, Christmas traditions have always been rather fluid.  They changed in parallel with whatever was going on in my life and in the lives of my family. 

Going back to childhood memories.

When I was a very young child Christmas was a magical time; after all Santa Claus was arriving at midnight on Christmas Eve with loads of presents for us all.  There was much anticipation in the preceding weeks as my mother did the preliminary cutting and chopping of dried fruits and nuts for the delicious fruit cake, which would ultimately be shared among neighbours and friends.  The chopped fruits and nuts were soaked in brandy for weeks before the final mixing of the batter in an enormous basin.  My siblings and I enjoyed licking the raw cake batter which contained a large quantity of raw eggs.  It was remarkable that no one fell ill.  Prior arrangements had been made with a local bakery for the cakes to be baked in a slow oven.  There were too many cake tins to fit in our average-sized oven at home.  It was quite a logistical feat.

When Christmas Eve came around our Christmas tree was firmly fixed in a sand-filled flower pot (no fancy Christmas tree stands at that time) and left for Santa Claus to decorate.  Sleep did not come easily to any of us.  We woke up on Christmas morning to gifts spread around a beautifully decorated Christmas tree.  The Santa Claus myth was shattered when we found out that my parents and my father’s youngest brother had been the Santa Claus after all! 

On Christmas morning the whole family attended the ‘Family Service’ at Christ Church Galle Face, where collecting toys for an orphanage was part of the service.  My parents made each one of us donate one of the toys we had received from Santa.  That was a gut-wrenching sacrifice for us, but in retrospect, I value the lessons we learned.  Later in the day we visited both grandmothers in Moratuwa.  During the weeks that followed, we were also expected to make ‘Christmas visits’ to all the uncles and aunts, where we were served Christmas cake along with cream crackers and cheese!  These visits were reciprocated when the uncles, aunts and cousins came to visit us.  By the end of the Christmas ‘season’ our appetite for the rich Christmas cake had declined considerably!

How things changed with time.

As we grew older, attending the carol services at various churches in Colombo was part of our lead up to Christmas.  The beautiful “Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols” at St. Thomas’ College, Mt Lavinia was an annual highlight.  The choir, trained by Rev. Bowyer Yin, was exceptional, and the service was usually very crowded with people lining up outside, hours before the start of the service. Often, the attendees included non-Christians who enjoyed the excellent music.  The service began with a haunting soprano solo, “Once in Royal David’s City” as the choir entered the Chapel in procession, in the tradition of the King’s College, Cambridge choir.  (Last Christmas I was delighted to discover a similar carol service at Trinity College, Hartford, but I will have to wait until next year to enjoy that experience again.) 

Memories of Christmas as a Medical Student.

In Medical College I joined the Student Christian Movement and one of the memories I treasure is that of visiting the University Faculty in their homes and serenading the professors and their families with carol singing.  In return, we were treated to delicious treats.  About 25 of us travelled in a private bus, starting in the evening and ending up about 2:00 am the next morning.  As the secretary of the organization one year it was my job to send out postcards to our hosts to inform them of the approximate times of our visits, and enquiring if they would be home?  My uncle Rev. Celestine Fernando was our Chaplain then, and our visit to his home was scheduled for approximately midnight.  When he received my postcard he responded by mail “Of course, we’ll be home, what do you think we are, bats?!” 

Christmas in the US

The first few Christmases after our arrival in the US are blurred in my memory but we did get together with other ‘transplants’ during Christmas and the New Year, since none of us had families living nearby. 

Later on as a single mother raising two daughters, Christmas became rather hectic.  There were school concerts, Christmas parties with my colleagues, and various other obligatory activities.  Gifts had to be bought, and that had to be squeezed in between getting my work done at the hospital.  These had to be hidden from prying eyes because even though my children had outgrown the Santa Claus myth, they still liked the surprises on Christmas Day. I found myself staying up very late on Christmas Eve wrapping presents and being annoyed at myself for buying so many!  I found the American emphasis on Christmas shopping, expensive gift buying, and the decorations that appeared at the shopping malls earlier and earlier every year increasingly annoying. I tried to steer the traditions to a more meaningful experience for my family by taking them to a beautiful candlelight service at our Church on Christmas Eve and inviting a couple of families to our home on Christmas Day. We enjoyed Indian and Sri Lankan cuisine and spent the afternoon dividing ourselves into teams to play Trivial Pursuit or Pictionary.  It was great fun and lasted for several years until one by one the young people went off to college. 

As my daughters grew up and family expanded

When my daughters became young adults the celebrations took many different twists and turns and I had to adapt.  Now that my daughters are married and living on different continents, I have realized that it is impossible for the entire family to be together at Christmastime.  It is a reality that simply has to be accepted.  I have spent Christmas in Germany with my younger daughter and family sometimes, and at other times with my older daughter and son-in law at my home.  I have enjoyed the time spent in the German Christmas markets sipping gluhwein and eating toasted sugared almonds, and gathering with their extended German family.  In West Hartford, Christmas is often spent with my daughter’s in-laws.  My Christmas traditions have evolved and been enriched over the years.

And this year, I am very thankful to be able to relax at home with my daughter and son-in-law.  I don’t have to do much cooking or entertaining and I have no plans to leave my cozy nest!  This is ‘Christmas Present’ and I will take it as it comes.

I wish you all a safe and peaceful Christmas and a much improved New Year! 

(B) The hidden artist bares himself!

This self-portrait is so lifelike; I don’t need to tell you who the artist is. His literary talents are legendary but this was a revelation. Batchmates have an "endear-ing" way oI addressing him. I wonder how many other batchmates need to “come out”! 

 (C) My musical offering

This is my own interpretation of a Christmas classic. Hope you enjoy it. Speedy.

Please click on White Christmas and this will open a new window where you can play the song.

White Christmas by Speedy

 (D) Zita’s Christmas contribution 
















(E) And Finally the list of people who sent greetings.

I won’t quote each but essentially they say the same thing. Here is a synthesized version.

We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.  There is now a new enthusiasm and a revived feeling of togetherness. Long may it last. Thanks for keeping our batch flag flying. To everybody, a peaceful, safe Christmas and a much improved 2021.

Best wishes to all. Hi everyone, Merry Christmas and a blessed and a year of 2021, hopefully much different to the year we have been through. God bless. Wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a lovely New Year.

Nihal (ND) Amarasekera

Zita Perera Subsinghe

Srianee “Bunter” Dias

Rajan “Patas” Ratnesar

Sunil Abeysuriya

Malkanthie McCormick

Lucky Abeyagunawardene

Swyrie Balendra

Appu Sumathipala

Sanath Lamabadusuriya

Manil Katugampola (nee Hettiarchchi)

Nadarasa Vishweshwara

Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

Sunanda “Jimmy” Wickremasinghe

Anton Ambrose

Kumar Gunawardena

Harsha Boralessa

Sura and JC Fernando

Pramilla Senanayake

Suriyakanthi Amarasekera

Indra Anandasabapthy

My apologies if I inadvertently omitted anybody.

35 comments:

  1. A fine compilation. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nihal (ND) where have you been hiding your talent? It is excellent.
    Mahen, I just listened to your version of White Christmas and I think Michael Bublé can now hang up his hat! Zita, thank you for your poetic expression of all of our frustrations. We'll wait for that jab (2 jabs, I guess) in our arms and try to leave this Christmas behind us! Let's wish everyone a far better New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, let us thank our fantastic duo, Lucky and Mahendra for the fantastic job they have done with this Blog which has been a place of great fellowship and togetherness for our '62 batchmates. Then, our artist! Hey our self portrait artist! Where have you been hiding all these years? We have already seen the artistic talents of Chira. Well done! And Srianee, it's such a treat to receive your 'Christmas Present'! I find it echoes in my mind and memories come back of my own childhood Christmas with my mummy and it sounds like yours and mine were 'twins' almost! I'll stop there as I know there will be a lot more chat to come from our lovely batchmates. Let's all wish each other Goodwill and fellowship, love and companionship, support and friendship now and in the year to come, regardless of all that's going on around us. Nothing can take away the friendship, goodwill and support we give one another. Thanks again Mahendra and Lucky for giving us this lovely platform. Batch 1962 will go on and on! All the best from Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita, We were lucky to have had the mothers we had! My daughters still recall the little nuggets of wisdom that she shared with them. There were many more details I could have shared, but I'm afraid it would have been boring for some of our readers.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Mahen for putting together such a lovely Christmas collection and for managing the forum so well.
    It is a crisp sunny morning in London and bitterly cold which brings out the festive spirit. Thank you Chira for the painting with the Greetings.
    Reading through Srianee’s memories of Christmas’ of old brought back my very own when we had huge gatherings in our ancestral home in Kegalle and the fun and the frolic that followed. I Recall the school Carol Services and the angelic voices singing “Once in Royal David’s City”. Then it was our turn to host Christmas for our own kids which brought us such great joy. Now it is our sons turn to host them which they do for their kids and we join in. Christmas still remains a time with the family but alas not this year, physically. But they will be in our thoughts all through this period and beyond.
    Zita’s poem right from the heart is such a delight. Thank you.
    Mahen’s song ‘White Christmas’ is lovely. No other song brings out the Christmas Spirit as this one made famous by Bing Crosby.
    As for my painting, thank you for the kind comments – it is no portrait just a caricature by a complete amateur finding his feet. I dare not do one of my grandchildren in case I upset them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihal, you seem to have succeeded in developing a new hobby during the lockdown. Good for you! Keep going, you may surprise yourself with the creations you turn out.

      Delete
    2. Srianee
      This the wonder of the blog. Thank you for the encouragement. I feel so happy.

      Delete
    3. Srianee, I always enjoy what you write and I like your ideas! It makes me think that we come from similar homes and so perhaps we are, 'birds of a feather'?

      Delete
    4. Nihal, this is Zita back again, and please do pardon my absence of a few days. I know you will understand that I've been really busy. It is always makes me happy to receive a comment from you about anything I write. You are someone who is renowned for your writing and you are now achieving your original ambition to write. Whenever I see anything you write I simply 'jump' on it and read it! It's so full of fun and full of facts and well written. I notice below, a mention of Razaque. I too feel really down when I think of how much we miss him, such a talented person and a good friend. It just shows that we must appreciate one another while we are still breathing and we must never fail to share a thought, a wish, a memory, anything that keeps us connected.

      Delete
    5. Yes Zita, I think you are correct (about us being birds of a feather!).

      Delete
  5. You are very modest Nihal. Drawing a face and capturing the expression and personality is one of the most challenging parts of portrait painting of any sort. You have succeeded in not just getting a likeness but portraying the real "you". Well done and keep doing more.

    About Srianee's post, it captures the mood and atmosphere of Xmas so well. I have Christian connections and Xmas was always a time for celebration, getting together and enjoying each others company in a generous and convivial mood. It still is although Covid makes it impossible to have physical meetings. Thanks Srianee for that nostalgic walk from past to present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nihal,your self-portrait was excellent!Where and why has that talent being hidden kept a secret all this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath
      Glad you like the portrait. I have been drawing buildings in black and white while on holiday which my sons thought were great. I have never considered myself as a good artist and still dont. When I did the self portrait as just something to do in lockdown to while away the time my sons never commented. I thought they were just being polite and it wasn't good. As a lark I sent it to Mahen and he liked it and here we are. Now when I look back I recall drawing a bee for zoology and it was very well received.

      Delete
  7. I am sure portrait was kept until the arrival of the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering whether readers were able to listen to my White Christmas as I have not used that particular method of posting a song. Were the instructions clear? I said click on White Christmas. If you did, was a new window opened and were you able to play the song? Did you have problems coming back to the blog? Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI Mahen, when I clicked on "White Christmas" highlighted in blue (left side) on the blog, it took me to the "player."
      I clicked on the arrow and enjoyed your wonderful rendition of the classic. There was no image, just a black screen. Is that how it was supposed to look? Clicking on the back arrow on top brought me back to the blog.

      Delete
  9. Mahen
    Enjoyed the rendition of that all time Christmas classic but no window opened and Santa couldn't get in!! Tried a few tricks but nothing worked. There was information overload at the time and I didnt pursue it any further. No problem returning to the blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. To all my learned friends
    As the winter bites into me I cannot help but visit the blog for some happiness and it is never a problem to find some joy.
    I re-read Razaques Diary - It is an endless 'diarrhoea' of laughter from start to finish.
    Razaque We miss you
    May you find Eternal Peace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed we do! Razaque was unique and personified humour and good common sense. We miss you my "substantial friend" (as I used to very fondly call him)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we do miss Razaque's unique, humorous comments! I told Farina that when we spoke on the phone. Unfortunately, she is not into WhatsApp messaging and emailing ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky and Mahen,
    Sorry for not reading your Christmas Greetings earlier.
    Blog is fantastic, we should be thankful to you for creating it and maintaining it.
    Thank you very much Srianee and Zita for your valuable contribution.
    Nihal you are a great artist! What hidden talent!
    Mahen
    What about posting your Self portrait to the Blog? Your White Christmas is lovely.You are a talented singer, Musician, Artist and Poet.
    What talents our Batch mates have! We have discovered them because of the Blog. Thanks for keeping us together.Great work!
    Wishing all Batch mates,Spouses and Families again a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2021 Chira

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Speedy Bunter Nihal Zita and others Thanks a lot for the Christmas Extravaganza. made very interesting reading.

    Bunter you did not mention that you and I were privileged... We did not have to wait in line to get in to the College Chapel for the Carol Service as we were family of members of staff and had seats reserved right in front!
    Oh I remember our going Carolling with the SCM . It was so enjoyable. Remember how Patrick Fernando used to play Christians Awake Salute the Happy Morn on his trumpet outside the houses and wake everybody up?
    Speedy your rendering of '
    "White Christmas is delightful .Thank you.
    Nihal you are a dark horse never knew you were an artist

    Zita dear you have not lost your touch Your poem is lovely... I remember the many personalised verses you have sent to me over the years most of .which I have preserved.
    Cheap you too are a surprise Even being school mates I never knew your creative talents. Well done.
    A heartfelt Prayer and wish t all my dear batchmates for a Peaceful and Safe 2021

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soooo sorry Chira my phone had "auto corrected" your name to cheap !!please do forgive me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suri, Thank you for adding to my 'memories.' I had forgotten that we had reserved seats at the STC Carol Service! I wonder if they held it this year? As for Patrick's trumpet playing, I do remember it now. Everyone we visited were such good sports about us crashing into their homes at ungodly hours. What fun!

      Delete
    2. Suri
      Thank you very much for your comment. I cannot take the credit for having creative talents, it is the web site that gave me all the details to do the cross stitching and of course the end result is wonderful. Chira

      Delete
    3. Patrick was one of my closest friends. He was great company and a born entertainer. I last saw him at his house in Tasmania only a few months before he passed away I think in 2016.He and his family have visited us in England and we had some fun times together. His trade mark habit was to put his hands together and rub them saying mischievously "ugura kata wehlila" which roughly translates to "I would like a drink- make it alcoholic please". I shall also remember him for making Psychiatry an interesting subject (with Prof Channa Wijesinghe) and not the boring "Angoda" subject it was so wrongly treated as. I am still in touch with his wife Sally.

      Delete
    4. I remember Patrick from the faculty days when he played the trumpet at our Parties in the Mens Common Room. It woke us up as it echoed through the corridors of that great institution playing Suranganie ta malu genawa. I knew his brother Riley, a GP, in Kurunegala. Riley was a kindly gentleman of the old school who has joined the profession more for the service than the money. A rare breed.

      Delete
    5. Mahen, I think I shared with you the fact that Patrick was my second cousin. (My mother had many cousins and it was difficult to keep track of them all!) We were friends right through our time in Medical College, but after we left Sri Lanka we didn't keep in touch. On my trips back to SL my siblings would tell me that Patrick and family had been in Colombo, but our paths never crossed again, which was a shame. He was a very interesting guy. He was also JC's great buddy while at RC and later. Mahen, I am happy to hear that you are in touch with Sally, whom I never met, unfortunately.

      Delete
    6. I knew that you were connected Srianee although not the details. Patrick's most famous brother is of course Kenneth Fernando who was Bishop of Colombo, a very progressive thinker who for example was very keen on singing hymns in Sinhalese. He also tried to help solve our Ethnic problems by meeting Prabhakeran in secret.

      Sally is very devoted to Patrick's family and they have a son (Martin) and a daughter (Michelle).

      Delete
  16. Reply to the Christmas Post on the Blog

    Hi Lucky and Mahen:

    You are the founders and the foundation of this wonderful blog.

    You have created a platform for us to reminisce, keep in touch, consolidate existing friendships and forge new friendships.

    The blog has given us an opportunity to read about exceptional acts of generosity, loyalty to friends, words of wisdoms from bright sparks, kind and caring thoughts; also to remember our batch mates who are no longer with us. The list goes on and on. Long live the blog.

    Sriani:
    Thanks for your post. It brought back many fond memories of my mother preparing the Christmas cake, the joy of opening Christmas presents, carol singing etc.

    Nihal:
    The picture is an accurate likeness.. What a talent! I like your style of writing. Your posts are a joy to read. Keep on writing.

    Zeeta:
    Your poetry is brilliant and reflects the uncertainty in Essex. The Oxford vaccine has been authorized for roll out . Its pros: it is much cheaper and easier to store and transport.

    Wish all of you a happy New Year and may the recent improved participation in the Blog continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bora, It is very nice of you to post such an encouraging and generous comment. Can I add that your input has enriched the blog and I like to thank you for that. The Blog can look forward to more "Bora's Banter" which is a feature we all look forward to.

      Delete
    2. Bora
      Your entry into the world of our blog although recent has made a tremendous difference. The Bora's Banter brings joy to our souls and we need them now more than ever. Your encouraging comments helps to keep the Blog fire alive and our brains ticking. We all see how much we have changed since those days in the faculty - the vanity and pride is now replaced by modesty and humility. Well most of the time!!

      Delete
  17. Hi Bunter No there was no festival of 9 carols was not held this year at the College Chapel. But Rev Mark Billimoria the present warden ( who I have known very well from his student days ) shared some beautiful singing by the " canto perpetual" recorded with choristers singing separately in their own homes and it all being out together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Suri, maybe I will look for that on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chira you are really talented your paintings are great. Though i knew they bwere two dimensional yet to me they were alive. its really great. i hope we will be lucky to see further work. manil katugampola nee hettiaratchi

    ReplyDelete