Monday, November 9, 2020

Max Koral Korner- Identity





Hello, it is "I" Max Koral again! I am sorry I left it so long since my last post but because of Covid, I have been very busy not being busy and it appears that time just disappeared. Today I discuss identity.

Identity

Identity is important to humans. We could also regard it as self-image. Philosophers and Theologists have views on this subject. Many religions teach that there is no self, it is just a delusion. Others say that self is intimately related to a non-material soul. Quantum physicists propound that self is a creation of your mind as is the rest of the material world.

The view that we can progressively reduce objects to smaller and smaller bits is not new. Around 450 B.C., the Greek philosopher Democritus introduced the idea of the atom. Democritus taught that atoms were infinite in number, uncreated, and eternal and that the qualities of an object result from the kind of atoms that compose it. He thought that the atom was the final indivisible part. Atoms get together and form objects, where the atoms although part of it, cannot be seen.

The Scientists who found that everything in the Universe is ultimately composed of waves and particles propose that what we see as objects do not in reality exist. I am not so sure about that. Bricks make a house and the house as a physical structure does exist. It is true that what we perceive is through our senses and we cannot in reality experience the real object, only the sensory image formed. The house you see and the house I see may be very different. While I agree that this image is very individual, it has basic characteristics which are common to all observers. For example, if there is an object which we call a wall in front of you, although it may appear different to each observer, all will recognise it as an object which would not allow you to walk through it and unless the person is blind, would not attempt to do so. My point is that the mere fact that an object is ultimately made up of very small components does not allow one to come to the conclusion that it does not exist.

Coming now to self and soul, the non-theistic religions stress the point that there is no soul and the concept of an individual or self is a delusion. There is no “I “or “him/her” they tell us, but all the time they use the same term “I” to teach how “I “ can achieve salvation. There is no “I “ the “I is told repeatedly but the “I “ is also told what “I “ must do to achieve bliss which is not-experienced by “I” as “I” does not exist.

What about Heaven? Who goes to heaven when you die? What does the person who reaches heaven look like? Couples are supposed to be reunited in Heaven, but as what? If the wife dies at the age of 35 and the husband dies at the age of 65 after 30 years, where was the wife in that time? All alone in Heaven? Doing what?  When the husband joins her, will she recognise this 65-year-old man…. Or do people in Heaven “exist” in some mysterious way which we humans cannot conceive? How do they spend their time? Does Time exist?

In spite of all these conundrums all of us have a concept of who we are and we proudly protect it. We are very concerned about how we appear to others. Women especially, go to great lengths to alter their appearance by the application of makeup, what they wear etc. Even Men do it although to a lesser extent. The “I” image varies all the time in a person. How you wish to look, sound and smell are often determined by the social context. It is often determined by what others expect from you. The “I” in one context is very different from another. The self or  “I” concept is so strong that people can be very disturbed angry and anxious if others do not recognise them according to the self-image or identity possessed by that person which they wish to project. “Sir X” is unhappy when addressed as “Mr X” and a person who has invested in time and money changing their appearance and persona will be very upset when the desired effect is not achieved. But all the time, there is a real “I” which only that person knows, or maybe doesn’t know!

The “I” maybe impermanent and subject to change but it is there….strengthened by our physical separateness and recollections and memories. If you ask most people what they would wish for them to be happy,  it would be to experience pleasant as opposed to unpleasant sensations or feelings and, not experience unpleasant sensations such as pain. At any one moment, your consciousness is a mixture of 3 things:- your current feeling at that moment, your feelings connected to your past experiences and lastly, your anticipation of your future experience.  All this operates within a feeling of identity. These are connected with philosophical concepts such as “Intentionality” – the ability of our minds to project outside and reach out to anywhere you wish to, and any situation you can imagine. I can in my thoughts travel to Sri Lanka or imagine what a fellow human being thinks of me. My construction (imagination) of the attributes of that person I am thinking of and what emotions I go through, are greatly influenced by the conclusion I reach of what I mean to that person. This is why it is so difficult to dislike somebody who likes you even if that person is disliked by everyone else. The “I” in you wants recognition and affection.

This is Max signing off… just have a think “I” say to “you”!


6 comments:

  1. Mahen
    Thank you for your post. What can I say? This is far too much for my little brain!! My understanding is that we live and we die and that's the end of it. I remember singing a song as a Boy Scout"
    Row row row your boat ....... which ends with a prophetic line
    "Life is but a dream". That is as much as my philosophy goes.
    I do greatly admire your love of philosophy more so because you put into practice what you believe. It has made you who you are, a decent human being and a good friend to many. That is indeed where all philosophies and religions converge. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an agnostic but I grew up as a Christian and am eminently aware of its tremendous contribution to life and society over the centuries and also what I see as its deficiencies. Christianity is a world religion that is greatly respected and rightly so. It teaches us to lead good lives and be useful citizens of this world. It is a religion based on faith and not on logical scientific proof. Human knowledge is infinitesimal when one considers what is out there to know. So our inability prove something doesn’t amount to much. There is also the fallacy that Christianity is a religion based on heaven and hell. It is not. This is just an insignificant off shoot. People lead good Christian lives not because there is heaven at the end. I have attended church and listened to sermons over many years but I cannot recall a single sermon where they spoke of heaven and hell. They were all about love, kindness and leading a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hasten to add that Max was in no way criticizing religion or any belief system. He is genuinely puzzled. Knowing Max extremely well, I know that he believes that there is always a balance in these matters. As Humans, we cannot profess to know everything there is to be known and understand everything there is to be understood.

    Max was attempting to point out the various strategies involved in the process of developing an identity and the problems faced in forming identities. On the 3 point model of conscious thought, a good simple example is how one might feel when a holiday is looming in the horizon. Person A has been there before and has very pleasant memories and this makes the look into the future (anticipation) most pleasurable. Person B had an awful experience and is ridden with anxiety. Person C has never been there and is influenced by what he reads or has heard from others. Al 3 examples are of a person going on holiday but with very different emotions. The same applies when you meet a person. How you feel about him/her are determined by a host of background activity, often subconscious. The bottom line is that our memory store is vast (ROM memory) and we access only what is relevant for the moment in your workspace (RAM). So what... you may well ask. Well, it teaches you to understand people better because their own unique past life experience influences their behavior and this is key, it is often subconscious. This is why some believe that "free will" is not really free because in the background, genetic and childhood experiences for example are operating. One develops more empathy with a fellow human being when this is taken into account. It also helps you to understand yourself because in reality, you are not in total control of yourself although you would like to think so. As a result, we have multiple personalities in space and time. The "I" exists but is not a permanent thing, it is changing all the time, like everything in this Universe. I take exception with the view that because it is changing all the time, it is not an entity in itself. Your car which you bought 12 years ago may have hardly any components as when you first bought it but it is still you car and not your neighbour's car, although you have witnessed its change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max Koral
    Thank you for reminding me of heaven. Our mutual friend Vikara Pisso is there now. I asked a friend how to contact him and he gave me a number. He said it is a landline. I said what about a free call on WhatsApp. He said WiFi there is poor. Anyway, when I called him he was watching IPL cricket. It seems a lot of Indians have arrived recently. They had pulled some strings to get connected. Vikara pisso (VP) has asked his brother to join him in heaven but he has said he is in lockdown in London. VP has said you are mad to hang around there. You don’t need a visa, just go to China Town without a mask and you’ll be here like a shot. I asked VP how he got to heaven. He said he was in the ICU with Covid and had a near death experience when he met the CEO of heaven. The CEO said thank you for the interest in heaven, this place is a choc-a-bloc now with the influx from the virus. There was a waiting list. As a space was available I got the call and had no hesitation. I did ask VP how he was managing without his wife. VP said he uses the dating app on his new iPhone 12. I am never envious. I just let him enjoy the good life. We said our goodbyes and cut the line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Max,

    Please continue your regular features. I must say that you are looking after the blog very well in my absence.

    Lucky

    ReplyDelete