Thursday, January 23, 2020

A typical day at Matale Base Hospital in 1969


Dr Mahendra Gonsalkorale

It is 7.00 am and I just woke up. I don’t really want to get out of bed as I am sleepy and tired after a very busy night on call. I went to bed at 11.45 pm after doing a night round to make sure that I had attended to everything and done preventive work in anticipation to ensure as far as possible that I won’t be disturbed, such as prescribe those PRN medications and advising nursing staff on what could wait till the morning and what needed urgent action. I went all round the hospital as there was only one junior doctor on call after 5 pm till 9am the following day. Our wards included Paediatric, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Medical and Surgical wards, spread over what appeared like miles of corridors. The hazards of night rounds included dealing with unwelcome growling dogs. But camaraderie and bonds of friendship were strong. If calls got heavy and I needed to be in several places at the same time, I had no hesitation in calling for help from my colleagues and they would willingly help.  There were no disclaimers to fill and no working hours directives.

There were no bleeps. At night you are awoken by a knock on your door with a voice saying gently, “Sir, call ekak”. After a few expletives uttered almost reflexly which the poor chap always never took personally, you open the door and read the message on the book – “Patient Piyadasa in ward 7 is having a fit, please come and advise”. By now, I am wide awake. I gather my stethoscope and getting into my trousers, hurry to ward 7. There was a time when as a mere intern house officer I slept fully clothed, ready for action, but one does mature!

Returning now to the story I began, there were many such calls and my sleep was badly interrupted but I had to be  in the Medical ward at 8.00am latest for the Ward round by Dr RanjithMunasinghe, one of the most capable, honest and caring doctors I have ever come across.

I grab a quick breakfast and reach the ward bleary eyed and partly refreshed by the strong coffee made by Letchiman, the House Do-it-all based in our residential quarters. “Good morning Sir” and Dr DRM replies “Good morning Gonsal, shall we start?”

Just to digress for a moment, I mentioned our House Do-it-all Letchiman. Most readers know how we managed our daily needs while being resident in Hospital accommodation, but just to refresh your memories, all our meals had to be organised by us. There were about 8-10 of us (only the MO, OPD being not resident) and each month one of us took turns to be “Buth Master”. His/her duties included managing the “Do-it-all”and his young assistant Supramanium(including their salaries) and all the shopping, cooking, devising menus etc. Each would pay an advance to the BM and at the end of the month; a true detailed account is produced by the BM and residual dues collected. This was done in the most amicable way with complete trust and worked very well. Some BMs were more enthusiastic than others. Jeff Babapulle comes to mind. He once provided each of us with a small chicken for lunch. Bacon and eggs meant much more than a rasher and an egg – there was enough bacon and egg to feed 25 people! That month, we ate exceptionally well. The bill  was as you would imagine, a bit higher but nobody minded.

Back to my ward round with Dr DRM. We came to an empty bed and DRM asked what happened to Nalliah, the patient who should have been there. The Nurse very proudly announced that although he had left against medical advice, she made sure that he signed the Bed Head Ticket (BHT) before he left- “pothaassankeruwa!” DRM asked about his medication and future care and the nurse again proudly said that as he went “pothaasankarala”, he was not given anything-“Eh minihatapissu! Kotcharakiwathahuwenaha” (he is mad; he did not listen at all to my pleas). DRM told the retinue (there was always a retinue, not as big as these days with a plethora of all types of health care workers), that in future, this is not the way to deal with those who insist on leaving against medical advice. Firstly, the doctor on call must be notified if attempts by nursing staff failed. Secondly, if he still insists on leaving after seeing the doctor, he must be issued with a few  days’ supply of medication and a handwritten note must be given with  a short history, investigations performedetc. and he must  be told that he must present this to any doctor he sees subsequently. He must also be told that if ever he changes his mind, he is most welcome to come again but always note the exact time and date of his departure in the BHT. He said that in his view, people have all sorts of reasons unknown to us why they appear to behave irrationally and we must never treat them as outcasts or punish them. This was a real eye-opener for me. DRM was the most humane and understanding “boss” I have come across and his message on why we choose to be doctors and the responsibility that we must carry, left an indelible impression on me.

Ward round over! Hurry back to Quarters for a tasty lunch cooked by Letchiman. He is there with his ever present mischievous smile with profuse apologies for not providing the Beef steak that Jeff wanted. He says “Chir, ada arak musivarai, ekanisa vegetable beef steak aduwa”.

And then the siesta on chairs (a few lucky ones on the haansiputuwas)till 2 pm for those who had clinics and 3 pm for those with ward rounds. This was one of the most welcome times of the day. It was hot; we were tired, happy after a tasty meal.It definitely wastime for that most civilised of activities, the afternoon siesta!

It is wake up time and back to the ward. Those doing Obstetrics could do anything from a breech delivery to a caesarean. The “Boss” would train you first and your first few Caesareans  are done with him supervising you, the next few with him having a fag in the doctor’s room and always available to help if needed. The same applied to surgery. We did the minor ops list and if we were that way inclined and showed interest, may even be allowed to do hernias and haemorrhoidectomies. No wonder we felt so important. When we went to Matale town, we were well known and vendors sometimes refused to take money for our purchases- “Eh mahaththuru ispiritale dostarawaru”. But none was as elevated as Senarath Panditharatne. The harmless and ineffective DMO at the timewho shall remain nameless, was over fond of the amber nectar and there were more times when he was under its influence than off it! Pandi stepped in with authority whenever required and was the real boss.

That’s it! A day’s work done and I am not on call today! Hurrah! At dinner time, it is time to catch up with all the gossip and plan that coming weekend trip to Dambulla. We will take our gas burner, eggs and bacon and have a picnic lunch at a picturesque spot complete with a stream and a pihilla. Such weekend outings were common and thoroughly enjoyed by all. Once a month or so, it was the long train and bus trek to see my parents in Nawala.

The gossip turned toward me and I was asked whether I still wake up and peer out of the window in quarters at 7.00am to catch a glimpse of one of the nurses I  found very attractive leaving the next door nurses quarters for work. Yes, I did! Sadly, I never plucked up enough courage to do anything constructive about it. My only physical contact was when she assisted me at the Minor Ops list and those brief touches spread as an erotic tingle enveloping my entire body. It was a case of being grateful for small mercies!

This was Matale in the late 1960s, a time I shall always treasure.  The friendships I made still linger, the lessons I learnt still shape me, and my memories of that important period in my life will continue to make me happy and say “After all, life is not that bad- I am truly grateful”

31 comments:

  1. Mahen
    Thank you for those wonderful collection of memories which indeed rekindled my own. The 1960's was a great time for doctors. We were united and well respected. As you always tell me I too am amazed how well you recall those wonderful moments. You are so right we were so well known in town. I recall a doctor who will remain anonymous who went to the cinema in Kurunegala and asked the manager to accept his calls and flash a message on the screen. During my years at Kurunegala this had entered the folklore of the institution. When questioned about this he unashamedly accepted this as a true story.
    I am fascinated by your enthusiasm to give the nurses the 'Me Too moment' when you Pee out of the window at 7am when they were going to work. How fortunate there were no smartphones then!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nihal. I am pleased you enjoyed reading it. Those were good times indeed. About the nurse in question, the setting was not as your fertile imagination conjured it! She was a lovely girl. I heard later that she was happily married and settled.
    Another memory I didn't note was an experience with a man with acute appendicitis who did a "potha assankerala self discharge". I was very sympathetic till..... he came back in the wee hours of the morning and needed an emergency laparotomy! I cursed the fellow for disturbing my sleep because of his cussedness! So much for empathy! As the great Mahatma Gandhi stated:-"A principle is the expression of perfection, and as imperfect beings like us cannot practise perfection, we devise every moment limits of its compromise in practice".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember D.R Munasinghe when he was the registrar to Dr Rajasuriya. He was a gentle soul who helped medical students who struggled during the hazardous appointment. I wonder how the DMO faired the rest of his life!! Drink sadly destroyed the lives of many doctors.
    My impression is that Matale was given to those doctors who were high flyers or those planning to sit the MD/Primary FRCS. So it was a station for the medical elite. Glad the Health Service recognised and looked after the intelligentsia who were to take on the top jobs as consultants retired.
    H.N and I as interns were friendly with the nurses joking and making fun. There was one very pretty girl, a very lively soul. After internship we moved on and the years passed. Around twenty years later I went to Hingurakgoda to see my pal Bernard Randeniya who was the MOH. We spent time at the Minneriya tank and went to the Hingurakgoda Hospital. I saw that pretty nurse there who was with me in Kurunegala. The ravages of time had taken its toll and also perhaps the hardships of family life in the dust dry zone. She was still very pretty but there were lines and furrows that marked her face. We spoke warmly and fondly of the years gone and recalled many humorous anecdotes. She said she was happily married and was now planning to move to Padaviya. We said our goodbyes and parted as I saw her disappear into the distance along a straight and dusty road. There was a deep sadness within me that I will never see her again. Both H.N and I treated the nurses with respect and considered them as good friends and no more.

    Mahen, thanks again for the lovely article that helped to bring back many memories that lurked buried deep in the archives of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nihal. There were many reasons for posting this. Those who are young and followed us will be amazed by the degree of responsibility given to us. They will also be impressed by the long hours we spent working without complaining. I think the reason for this is that we enjoyed our work, we didn't worry about subtle and not so subtle medico-legal implications and we were well supported by our bosses and most of all, there was a genuine brotherhood (add sisterhood for PC!) amongst us. It was also not all work. We did so many fun things together.

    Yes Matale was one of the first choices after internship for those aspiring for higher degrees. DRM had regular Journal club classes in the evenings to prepare us for the MD. It was he who suggested that I should register with the GMC at that time and subscribe to the BMJ. As a result, I became a Life Member of the BMA last year for 50 years of membership.

    I also wrote it because I am sure most of us have come across a person in our professional lives who makes a deep impression on you and shape your thinking and attitude. DRM was one such person for me. I met him in London and called him "Sir" as you would expect and he told me "what is this Sir? We are both NHS Consultants now, please call me Ranjit" and my answer was "Yes Sir"! After that I tried to catch his attention by looking at him and not addressing him with any name. It took me a very long time, several years to call him Ranjit. It went from Sir, to Dr Munasinghe to finally, Ranjit! His wife Beta (Betarice) was an equally charming person.

    The final reason, at least for me, was our relative innocence. Just gazing at the adored object and the luxury of the softest touch was sufficient to get the hormones going! Of course I know that there were some who more than rose to the occasion! It is the old story - the street beggar is ecstatic when he picks up a £10 note and Sir Richard Branson experiences a very similar sensation when he picks up his next Million!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Zita. It is a real treat to read Mahendra’s account recalling his internship period in such graphic detail just as we heard from Nihal and a few others earlier. It shows how much this experience is ingrained in your mind, Mahendra, even though it was nearly 53 years ago. What’s admirable is your recalling of names, events, emotions felt and yearnings as though it happened yesterday! There is no doubt that this year of working relatively independently but with such intensity of work, the long hours after over five years of training for you and indeed for us all, felt in some ways like rigorous imprisonment but with its own unique qualities.
    I truly enjoyed reading this, Mahendra and I hope you and Nihal have restarted a trend to recreate this unique year in our lives and that many others will follow your example. One has incredible memories, makes such strong friendships, learns invaluable lessons much more than in any other part of one’s existence. Thanks, Mahendra, for this entertaining account!
    Pardon me if I tend to repeat things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks Zita. I too was hoping that this post might prod more to come up with their own experiences. We could easily write s book together. By the way, this was the first post intern job. I also had the great privilege of working under another collosus, Dr Wickrema Wijenaike at GHC as an intern

    ReplyDelete
  8. My final fling with the GHC was in 1973/74 when I was a Registrar to Dr U.S Jayawickreme. He took over the ward from Dr W Wijenaike. Dr USJ was a fine clinician and a dignified gentleman. Always immaculately dressed he showed tremendous kindness to his patients and to the staff. In turn he received great loyalty and enormous respect. He showed us how to conduct ourselves calmly and with dignity in the ward. His patients adored him. His work ethic and bedside manner had a tremendous impact on me. That was a fine finale for my clinical years at the GHC as I moved on to Radiology. USJ has now passed on but his memory will remain always.
    As a young doctor finding my feet my mentor was Dr. Mailoo Visuvaratnam. I first came across him when he was Physician at Kurunegala and also was my neighbour. He is the cleverest of clinicians I know and the finest human beings. His calm reflective manner was a soothing balm for everyone around him including his patients. I was greatly honoured when the Royal College of Physicians asked me to write an appreciation in their Munks Roll after seeing my tribute in the Ceylon Medical Journal
    https://history.rcplondon.ac.uk/inspiring-physicians/mailoo-visuvaratnam
    I am grateful for his friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Dr USJ very well. As you say, he was immaculately dressed (like most Consultants at the time) and an excellent teacher. I got to know Dr M.Visuvaratnam when I worked as Neurophysician (as the Neurologist was called - sort of makes sense, a Neurosurgeon and a Neurophysician) in Kandy when I returned to Sri Lanka in 1977. He was a superb clinician and a very fair man, a thorough Gentleman. He brought me back to Earth in the nicest possible way when he asked me to see and take over a patient in his ward. I saw him and wrote on the BHT that I will take him over when I have a free bed in my Neurology ward. He told me "Mahendra, you are not in England any more. If you agree that the patient should be under your care, he comes to you whether he stays on a bed or under a bed!"

      Delete
  9. Hello,Speedy,
    When,I read your fascinating article about the post-intern appointment to Matale,Base hospital.Nihal has already elaborated the virtues of getting into Matale base hospital,the breeding ground of future Physicians and Surgeons.I,first could not catch the Munasinghe name.After reading Nihal's comment,i immediately recognised the person.He was a Registrar to Prof Rajasuriya,during our clinical days.I nearly escaped from the wrath of Prof,when I was told by DRM that I waa due to present a case,that,morning.DRM had a list somewhere hidden.I had just enough time to take the history and examined the patient just before the arrival of Prof.It was an interesting case of diabetes with telltale signs of diabetes.There was vitiligo at the back for which he had Ayurvedic treatment.Prof was highly impressed,when he heard about Ayurvedic medication.I had a plain sailing all throughout the appointment.We had classes with USJ,when he was a RP and later became a full time Consultant after obtaining MRCP.
    Lastly,I feel sorry that Speedy could not find a Ketalen Mallak(Matalen Kellak)I too have come across beautiful nurses during my internship and I finally married one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sumathi. You did well to impress Prof Rajasuriya!He has many very capable Registrars under him and Dr Ranjit Munasinghe was one of them. Others I remember were Dr Wimalaratne and Dr Soma De Silva, who tipped me for a Distinction at the Finals and was very disappointed I let her down! To be honest, although I admired Prof R in many ways, I didn't like him at all as I firmly believed that as Medical Students, we should not be treated like errant school boys. Dr Oliver Pieris was my role model as a Teacher.

      Delete
    2. Mahen
      I do agree. The faculty bubble was a nasty place and we were treated appallingly badly by some of the teaching staff from both sides of Kynsey Road including clinicians. They felt that was their right. LDC Austin raised me by the collar because I didnt stand up when he was passing by - my feet were dangling in the air!! We must also be careful here not to look at the 20th Century with 21st Century glasses. Although I recall the 'Austin incident' I bear no grudge and have no hard feelings. He was a fantastic teacher and took great trouble to teach us well just like the rest of our Clinical and faculty Staff. As I recall those days there are a few who stand out like "Pachaya", NDW Lionel, Carlo Fonseka, D Weinman, D.J Attygalla, W.Wijenaike ,Dr Anthonis and Dr Niles who taught us well and also treated us with kindness and courtesy. I'm sure there are other names that an old F..t like me cannot remember.

      Delete
  10. Mahen, Your memories of the internship brought back memories of my own in Galle. The reflections that followed too were interesting and amusing ! Internship was indeed an year which transformed our lives- from having been carefree to being responsible and accountable. It was in fact at the beginning of my internship that I finally got my act together and studied the books in ernest, so my conscience could be clear that I had done my best for the patients. Until then exams were only a necessary evil which didn’t bother me- This year was different from any other- the first time away from home with lots of learning, sleepless nights and lots of fun as well. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rohini. Thanks for commenting. Your "confession" on books and exams was most interesting! I am sure you are not the only person who regarded exams as a necessary evil! I loved reading books but I didn't enjoy sticking to one "holy" text and tried to read about the subject through many books.Your statement- "my conscience could be clear that I had done my best for the patients" speaks volumes for your dedication. All the best

      Delete
  11. Here I acknowledge the valuable lessons I learned from my consultants Dr. C.S. Wickramasooriya (surgeon), Dr. Piloo Rustomjee (surgeon), and Dr. S. Anandaraja (physician). I make special mention of three of my very first co-HOs- Dr. Ranjit Jayawardena and Dr.Lakshman Thenuwara ( both from the Peradeniya faculty) without whose guidance and advise I would have been totally lost in my first days as an intern-their kindness and cooperation in those first few days made all the difference to making me survive in my new role as a junior doctor, the third -Dr. Mrs. Moonemalle who spent long hours with me in the surgical ward after work, reading up about our patients for their optimum management. I also say thank you to Dr. Chandra Silva (now Udukumbura) who put up with me as her room-mate during that year and all the other wonderful colleagues who made life memorable in Galle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us have fond memories of Teachers who made a lasting impression on us. I have the highest regard for teachers (and the Teaching profession). It is sad that Teachers (not referring to Doctors but the Teaching profession) are undervalued and underpaid. They shape the future of a Nation and should be right up there in the pyramid of valued people.

      Delete
    2. Teaching as a profession at school has lost its glitz and glamour since when we were kids. As the pay isnt good perhaps it attracts the wrong kind. The parents dont seem to respect teachers and find fault with them for punishing their kids. If the exam results are poor the parents blame the teachers which may not be the problem. I do not know the current situation in SL but in the west we must improve their pay, attract better people in to the profession and give them back some of their powers to improve school discipline.
      That is my view of the world of teaching today. Don't I sound like and old F...t !!

      Delete
    3. I suppose we ARE old Fs Nihal!

      Delete
    4. Mahen and Nihal, I couldn’t agree more with what you both have said about teachers. They should be picked from the brightest and the best to do the younger generations justice.Just as it applies in medicine they need to be genuinely interested in the profession , be dedicated, and adequately remunerated.
      Thankfully, by Nihal’s definition, I don’t qualify to be in the exclusive club of OFs.!!

      Delete
  12. What is the definition of an old F..t?
    A person who when young had no clue how to sort out his problems but now as an old man has all the answers to the worlds problems. Just one more thing - he wouldn’t hear of alternatives or compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another memory of those days is how little time we spent in the loo for a major expulsion. The reason was simple. No flushing toilets, just buckets with " dahiya" and hence the poor olfactory dividend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MHS Cassim had an ingenious solution to counter the loo smell. He brought a Bulgarian cigar which he smoked during the ablution. We called it the Bulgarian Bog Punt. I cannot still figure out which was worse for the many who used the convenience. We developed reflex apnoea which helped no end.

      Delete
  14. Hi,Speedy,There was a hiccup in the blog column,and my comments ended up in a limbo.I vaguely remember Soma de Silva in the Professorial unit.Poor Wimalaratne fellout with prof and he never got his MD and died prematurely while working in Kurunegala General.Comment about Dr.LDC Austin is very interesting.Students had to wear ties when attending his clinical attachments.I had him with DFdeS for my surgical viva and his question was about diagnosing ruptured spleen.My answer was rapid pulse and he insisted repeating the question and I repeated rapid pulse as my answer.I completely forget other signs,such as pale skin,sweating,thready pulse.The answer he wanted was increasing pulse.At the end,he told me that he was not going to fail me.He wanted to hear the world increasing pulse.It was great relief.With DFdeS,I was shown a kidney with multiple while spots,bigger than millet seeds.My answer was multiple abscesses,but it turned out to be secondary deposits or miliary carcinoma.I must have seen the damn thing in the Pathology museum,in the past.Satan was ruling my brain.If I got the answers right,it would have done a world of difference,in the Final,as I did the long case with Prof Nava,reasonably well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi, I do remember Dr Austin quite well. He was an imposing, "old style" doctor. Did Dr Misso replace him? There was another doctor who insisted on ties. He was an Ophthalmologist I think. We went for his ward classes and there is a story about Geri Jayasekera who forgot his tie and hurriedly borrowed a nurses green belt (more like a ribbon) and he wore it like a tie. This surgeon lines all up for inspection before he starts and shifts his gaze slowly from East to West. When he came to Geri, he just paused for a moment, and then continued scanning!

      Delete
    2. Dr>Misso was a contemporary of Dr.Austin.His ward was on the 3rd floor of the old building opposite Prof Pauls unit(first floor)
      I remember the Ophthalmologist well.He did not take part in one of the Doctors strike and I have had my eyes tested by him.In fact we did an attachment with him.His name sounds like or Weerakone.He had a lawyer by the name of Batty Weerakone(Samasamajist).Prof AH Sheriffdeen was the House surgeon to Dr.Austen in our 3rd year.Gery was a real joker during his student days.

      Delete
  15. When,Nihal mentioned about bucket latrines in Kurunegala,it reminded me of the lavotaries in Ratnapura General.We had commodes,in place of buckets.Unfortunately,our cistern was out of order and we had to pour water to the tank to flush the poo.One day,I lifted the lid of the cistern and dropped on the commode which shattered into pieces.JG,Izadeen(Preradeniya grad)and myself were the occupants of the room.We had 12 interns in our group and had to share in threes instead of twos.There was no replacement available for repair and we had to use the toilets in the other rooms.Fortunately,no one had diarrhoea,needing usage of the toilets,often.I was aware that Galle hospital too had bucket latrines and I wonder how Rohini and others got on with the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately in Galle we had flushing toilets and had no problems with smell !
      We did have a poor water supply though, and I remember collecting the dribbles of water in a large bucket overnight so I didn’t have to rely on the slow trickle for my wash in the morning.

      Delete
    2. Thank,you,Rohini for that information.I have been to HO's quarters during 1971/72 on my way to Supreme Court,Galle to give evidence in murder cases that took place in Deniyaya(I was DMO who had to perform Post Mortems).I,can now,recollect the flushing toilets that I have used to pee,over there.It was a pity that million gallons of water from the Gintota river not been used to supply a continuous flow water to the hospital.Even,that veteran politician who reigned the Galle seat,Dr.W Dahanayake had no vision,will power or a desire to do something about it.He was the champion of the payment vendors(WattiAmmas)and Galle(second largest city)was neglected all those years.Sorry,we lament over the bygones.Now is the time for the rulers to think sensibly act,rather than sitting on the fence.

      Delete
    3. Howe take the flushing toilets for granted these days! It is like everything in life- dissatisfaction comes only after experiencing satisfaction. I can't say I enjoyed the bucket latrine days but till I had my first "sitting" at the then new fangled flushing affairs, I just took them as the norm to be endured and not enjoyed..

      Delete
  16. Lavatorial humour is as old as history itself. There are graffiti and cave drawings to illustrate the humour. I refer you to one of my previous posts:
    Although ablutions are a basic and mundane function, lavatorial humour has been in existence since time began. The public toilets are a magnet for graffiti artists. The dim lights in the basement and the relative seclusion perhaps help in its creation. I recall reading a hurriedly written script on the wall “Pass anything but not wind”. All I could say is “Easily said than done”. Amongst a gallery of graffiti in the Oxford Circus public toilet their was a polite request “don’t overestimate your ability, get closer to the urinal.” Gents toilets are a paradise for dribblers. If I had the courage to reply I would have said : “ I will have to swim to get there”. On the back of a toilet door was a gentle reminder :“Your exhaust needs a silencer”

    ReplyDelete