Thursday, November 8, 2018

A lasting recollection from my time in the Faculty


By Mahendra (Speedy) Gonsalkorale

There is probably no limit to the recollection of interesting episodes during our Faculty times. I regard the Blog as a proper medium to record some of these and hope many others will follow. In this post, I close my eyes and transport myself back to the mid-sixties to the Physiology Lecture theatre, a place I recall with a mixture of awe, veneration and wonderment. When I first walked into that theatre with its wooden panelling, tiered rows of seats arranged in a semi-circle with a long front desk behind which was a big blackboard, for me it was like walking into a place of worship. The currently hackneyed word “awesome” describes it well.

The occasion I am reliving was an evening Lecture by a new Neurosurgeon by the name of Darrel Weinman. The hall was packed and before the arrival of the Lecturer, there was the usual loud indecipherable cacophony of voices mingled with the noise of feet on the platform on which the chairs were arranged.I observed that last minute preparations were being made on the front desk by the Chairman, who I think was Prof Koch but my memory is not infallible.

Suddenly, the noise subsided quickly to be replaced by the pregnant silence of eager anticipation. Dr Darrel Weinman, looking young, smart and dapper, walked in with a big smile lighting up his handsome face. He was much shorter than I expected and was wearing an academic gown. He looked very distinguished and learned.

The Chairman introduced him with a brief but informative speech and invited Dr Weinman to address the audience. The exact topic is not of importance for this short essay. What he actually said is also not of great relevance. It is the manner of delivery, the visual aids used and his incredible ability to hold the audience spellbound with his eloquence and mastery of the topic that has stood in my memory. I had never before been to a Lecture so beautifully illustrated with a slick slide presentation. Not for him the “next slide please”. He signalled when he wanted the next slide with a press of the little “batta” he held in the palm of his hand,  invisible to us, which emitted a loud and sharp clicking noise when pressed. These were days long before computers and PowerPoint. The slides had to be made and mounted individually in the Photographic department. The Lecture had to be planned and made ready days before the presentation as no last minute editing was possible. All this required skill and mastery of the topic and Dr Weinman certainly possessed these qualities.

He spoke for about 40 minutes or so during which there was perfect silence only to be broken by prolonged and loud applause when he finished, which he modestly acknowledged with that warm and charming smile we all recall with endearment.

The physiology lecture theatre is also fondly remembered for other virtuoso presenters such as Dr Carlo Fonseka, Dr Wickrema Wijenaike, Prof “Bull” Seneviratne, just to mention a few. Who can forget our first days in the Faculty when we sat strictly according to alphabetical order ready with pen, and with note book perched on the little wooden pad on the right arm of the chair? Who can forget the loud noise we made by stamping on the wooden platforms on which the chairs were placed when there was occasion to cheer or applaud? The acoustics and the seating arrangement were perfect. After many decades of sitting in various auditoriums and lecture theatres in many countries, I regard the Old Physiology Lecture theatre as one of the best.

As we all know, Dr Darrel Weinman passed away recently.I was prompted to write this article when my thoughts turned to him when I heard of his demise. I regard myself as very fortunate to have benefitted from his knowledge, teaching ability and kindness; truly a great doctor and human being.


26 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Mahendra
    Thank you for those wonderful memories which you have presented so well. This brings back memories of a time when teachers demanded great respect except the ones you’ve mentioned. They were kind and treated us with respect. Wijenaike and Weinman were very special people whom I remember with much respect.
    It great to read memories of those years in the faculty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Speedy,
    I almost agree with what you have already written about good old days.No one had mentioned about Prof.Sinnathamby's lecture that were delivered from the top floor of the administrative block.
    His lectures kept me awake from my usual sleepy afternoon;after a hefty lunch at Bloem.You all cannot forget
    how he teased the female students.

    Sumathi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember his comment about the monkey with the blue scrotum.

      Delete
  4. ND and Sumathi. Thanks for your comments. Of course there were many more. Dr Lionel as he was then, was another favourite of mine.i liked Teachers who taught us well and also treated us like mature adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waas and Lester J brought some sanity to the Block which had a hostile environment created by SSP. Some of Our clinical teachers needed a lesson in humility. Prof KR was the worst in that regard. I say that as a part of our cherished history and not to castigate them as many took on the task of training us seriously. May they all be at Peace. It is unfair to look at the 20th century with 21st century glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anatomy department was the worst in that regard and on looking back the least important as they taught us far too much And expected far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Zita: I can only say, 'hear, hear!' to that account by Mahendra on one of our revered and admired teachers and it brings a strange nostalgia and we are back sitting in the Phys theatre with Dr Weinman on the dais. You have reverently described a great man. We all know that his part as teacher for ever such a short period had a life long influence on all aspects of our student life. Dr Weinman is no more but he lives on in the hearts and minds of his students, colleagues and patients. We bow in reverence and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!,Speedy,ND& Zita,
    Very nice to see your comments.I feel sorry that other regular bloggers have failed to come forward with their comments.I have been under the weather and a bit slow in my contributions.
    As,already mentioned,some of our teachers were excellent.There were a few moody and showed no empathy towards weaker fellow students.
    Prof Raj wanted every student to be like him and he used to loose his temper very often.That may have contributed to his premature death.To tell you,I got on very well with him.In fact he felt sorry that I went to Ratnapura to do my Intern period.when I could have got a place in Colombo.I met him at the Administrative block,one day, and he asked me where I was based.Then only he told me that I was high in the order of merit, albeit,missed a Second class at the Finals.
    During the students days,I have very little money to invest on text books and I suppose,that was the reason I became a mediocre student but never was a chronic.

    Sumathi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi, I don't think you were a mediocre student at all. I too think the same about myself. It's this habit of doing ourselves down. The main thing is no one who were in our batch was a mediocre student for the simple reason, in those days to be one of 165 or so students chosen from the whole country to enter one batch and a similar one in Kandy, were simply unique. Let's all be proud of ourselves. And look how well everyone has done! And look at this Blog and the quality of the presentations! We ought to be proud! We have a few years of active minds, good health and relative 'youth' in front of us. Let's make the most of it.
      Zita

      Delete
  9. The past is to be recalled as it was and not as what it might have been or could have been or should have been; just an observation and recollection with an emphasis on pleasant memories with no ill feelings but with the ability to recall even unpleasant things as a passive observer. This would give rise to inner peace and equanimity. philosophical? I suppose so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a good time in the faculty despite the hardships.friendships and cameraderie did a lot to make life better. I just recall the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    Speedy and ND.
    I fully understand the ups and downs of life.I had a good time in my medical student days,with a handful of friends both among the batch and outside.Some of the seniors were very friendly.
    I,well remember,the couple of jokes I had with Speedy.One day,I mistook Speedy's brother for another batch mate of his and Speedy corrected the mistake.I wonder whether,Speedy still remembers it.I am sure memory loss of earlier events is common in Alzheimer's disease.I hope,it's along way off for me?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say that I have no recollection of this Sumathi!

      Delete
  12. Sumathi was my friend in medical school and remember chatting and joking in the common room and the long corridors of the GHC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cherish those proud and happy memories. It was such a pleasure to see Sumathi at the London reunion with his lovely wife. To be seated next to them was a great joy. Take care my friend and enjoy life.

      Delete
  13. Thanks ND&Speedy.
    It is a pity that Speedy has forgotten some of those events bygone.
    On arrival at the London reunion,I had no difficulty in placing you as my old friend,ND.I am lucky my higher centres are functioning,reasonably well up to now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish to digress to remember and recall the lives of two multitalented medics from a previous generation. A fine appreciation by Dr PR Wickramanayake appeared in Sunday Times last week for Darrell Weinman. By the same author there was one for Tony Don Michael
    https://www.pressreader.com/sri-lanka/daily-mirror-sri-lanka/20161024/282557312744256
    They both played cricket for ST Peters college and dr Weinman captained the team. They are illustrious academics from our Faculty and fine products of our beautiful country. Forces of destiny prevented them from working in SL but they both served humanity to the best of their ability. We pay homage and remember them with affection. May they both find lasting peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like the personal anecdotes of PRW in the appreciations. I remember PRW as a fine physician and a good teacher without the arrogance shown by some of them. He was a gentleman and a fine product of STC.

      Delete
    2. PRW too left our shores to serve as a physician in Sydney. He had his own personal reasons for leaving SL just like many of us who now live in ‘exile’. Life’s journey is never a straight road it’s many twists and turns take us in paths beyond our wildest dreams.

      Delete
  15. ND. I do remember PRW, tall, black specs and white suit. He was a good tescher as you say. Was he VP opd for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  16. PRW started as a Physician OPD and also acted as locum Consultant from time to time in GHC.I,remember very well one of the remarks he made about the Final MBBS achievement.He mentioned that one should get at least a Second class.Never mind Distinctions,to survive in the realm of teaching hospitals.
    The moment you are shifted to so called out station hospital,your aspirations for higher exams were doomed.There are few exceptions to the rule,for example ND,SriKantha,Bobby Soma,and so on.
    I had respect and administration for the way his teachings were concerned.He was more examinations orientated.I,remember his remark about MRCP.I am not telling a lie,but a true statement made by PRW;MRCP is a little more than Final MBBS.It was certainly true when I sat for part 11,many years ago.I am sure ND and Speedy will certainly agree on it.
    I am not sure about the exam,nowadays,with CAT,MRI,Ultra sound playing a vital role in the diagnostic tools.Basic eliciting of heart sounds are forgotten by most of the doctors(BMJ article highlighted this failure about an year ago).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great teacher we had was Kira Silva,Rp and acting VP at GHC for a short spell.I met him in Anuradhapura,where he was a VP.I followed his ward rounds at free time and learn a lot about cardiac murmurs and how to assess the degree of stenosis of different heart valves.Every will remember the terms Graham-Steel murmur,Austin-Flint murmur,rumbling diastolic and early systolic murmurs with opening snaps,seagull murmurs.Hey!Speedy and ND,you cannot forget those terms.I wanted to do 6 months of HO job with Kira,but MS-CD Herat could not fulfil his desire to help me owing to head Office bureaucracy.If I succeeded,I would be knocking at the doors to the prestigious MD(Ceylon).Dedication to honest and hard work never paid dividends,in Sri Lankan Medical Politics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sumathipala
    KS de Silva alias Kira now lives in NZ somewhere close to Wellington. Rohini Ana and husband know him well are family friends. I remember him as a fine teacher minus the arrogance of others. I personally learnt a lot from him. He is kind thoughtful and has had a fine career in NZ. Yet another person who has served humanity in the Southern Hemisphere

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some one mentioned that it was P.R. Wickremanayakes daughter who is to head Australia’s McQuarie bank. A great go out.

    ReplyDelete