Wednesday, June 27, 2018

London Reunion 2018

My Recollections of the London Reunion 2018 

By Nihal Amerasekera


I stepped on the treadmill of life on my first day at school and stepped off on my retirement. It’s been a long haul. Study, exams, career and family have consumed my time. All through those years what stands out are the friendships I’ve made. Friendships are one of life’s great gifts.

The London Reunion as it is called now is the brainchild of Pramilla Kannangara. She has used her exceptional organising skills for the past 2 years to gather the troops living in England for a summer meeting. Pram has the wonderful gift to collar and cajole her ‘victims’ to attend. Without Pram, the reunion would never have taken place. Satay House is a Malaysian restaurant close to the Paddington Station in a quiet street away from the heavy London traffic. The venue was chosen for easy access by public transport.

We gathered together around midday. The spirits were high and I felt I had stumbled into a time-warp. As always, some of us have not met since that fateful day in 1967. As we stepped in there were peals of laughter for the mistaken identities.The black mops of hair that once crowned young adolescent heads half a century ago, had now turned silver. But some have preserved the old order with a magic formula. Everyone was sprightly but for an occasional shuffle. Many remembered the faces but recalling names was that much harder. Such is the price of seniority nowadays!!

As we sat down to a sumptuous lunch, there was much reminiscing and great nostalgia. Having already chartered their mark as respected professionals, modesty ruled the day. Thankfully, a discourse on position, power, wealth and achievements never raised its ugly head. It was so wonderful to be together again. The merry disregard for noise regulations continued until the very end.

We give a special welcome and thank you to the friends who made it to the reunion. They came from near and far. It was lovely to see Mahes Nadarajah nee Singharayer. She came with her daughter Vino and grandchildren all the way from Manchester just to be with us. She hasn’t seen many of us for several decades. Sumathipala, who is now a regular at our blog, came with his wife Latha from Birmingham. No one recognised him except perhaps myself as we both converged on the restaurant together. He lives near the Edgbaston Cricket Grounds and we have vowed to meet again soon when I visit my son in Birmingham. They were seated next to me and were wonderful company. Haris  Boralessa has retained his full head of hair, a veritable luxury at our age. He soon got into his stride with his amusing tales about mutual friends. We thank his wife Harshi for being with us despite their busy schedule for that evening. Sushiela Kanagasabai was on her way to a wedding and looked gorgeous in her colourful saree and glistening jewellery. She looked more like the bride!! It was so good of her to come. Sunil and Sirima Abeysuriya are most supportive of our gatherings. Sunil has not changed since the Faculty days. He remains a fine raconteur. We love to hear Sunil’s stories as a doctor in several continents. Despite a mishap back in Sri Lanka recently, it was great to see Dharmani Makalanda and Amara looking so well and full of the joys of an English summer. Amara was clicking his camera in every direction and hopefully has captured some candid shots. It was great to see Sunanda (Jimmy) Wickramasinghe who shared his interests and experiences. He continues to work part-time in his surgery. We value his support for our reunion. It was so good of Indrani Subramanium to join us despite her difficulties and we must thank her daughter Rosemarie Moore for providing the support and transport. As many of us boys would recall Indrani was a bubbly girl in the Faculty. She has been a regular since our meetings began. Indrani is now much subdued just like the rest of us. Zita and Joe have always been enthusiastic supporters of the reunion. We did miss Joe this time. As on previous occasions, Zita moved around the tables to speak with everyone. There was at least one person who didn’t recognise Rohini Abhayaratne which surprised me no end. It was great to see Rohini who was in my alphabetical group all through the 5 years. I think our group got off lightly at ward classes and clinical appointments, thanks to her presence as the daughter of the Dean of the Faculty. I must say, to her credit, that Rohini wore that genetic connection lightly and conducted herself with great dignity. Many failed to recognise the slip of a girl who floated the long corridors of the GHC like a wispy cloud. Manil Katugampola (nee Hettiaratchi) is still slim and hasn’t lost that mischievous smile and her kind and thoughtful ways.

On this occasion we remember absent friends. Suren Iyer sadly left us so suddenly at the beginning of this year. We recall warmly his presence at our last Reunion and his humorous anecdotes of our Faculty days. B.T Batuwitage was a regular attendee of our meetings in London with his lovely wife Geetha. Last year we recognised he was unwell. We remember with affection Batu and Geetha at this time and hope the coming months and years will be kind to him. We send our best wishes to Geetha who is his ever-loving carer. Mahendra Gonsalkorale was away on a trip to the antipodes. Sanath Lamabadusuriya is a regular summer visitor to England. He attended the event last year but this time he had his family converge on him in Colombo. Shanthini Nalliah was on her way to Sri Lanka. We saw DSC Attale last year who has since remained incommunicado.

Then came the ever-popular photo call. Many pulled out their shiny smartphones. There was the all important group photograph. As so many photos were taken it was hard to maintain a natural smile for so long. Risus sardonicus comes to mind!!As gravity has taken over our lives, standing still for any length of time is a tough ask. Despite our infirmities and creaking joints, we managed to please the paparazzi.

We had a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with the people with whom we spent five glorious years of our youth. Where have all those years gone? The Reunion has enriched my soul. Although the food was good and the company was jolly, like all good things it has its end. After the lunch the time was nearing 3.00 pm and we all started to get itchy feet. Asian goodbyes take time. This went on for a further half an hour, with hugs and kisses, until we finally dispersed. One cannot put a price on the friendship and camaraderie that we enjoyed. Those who did not attend missed something very special that money can’t buy. Our thanks go to Pram for organising such a wonderful event. Once again thank you to all those who attended. May we have the good fortune to meet again. It is Au revoir and not goodbye.

L to R: Rohini, Sunil, Sirima, Latha

 Latha, Sumathi, ND

Mahes, Harshi, Susheila, Pram

Back row: Mahes, Bora, Susheila, Sumathi, Sunanda, Pram, ND, Manil, Rohini, Sunil, Dharmani
                                                        Seated: Indrani and Zita    


 
Rohini, Sunil and Sirima

31 comments:

  1. Thank you ND for that wonderful eye witness account. It was as if I was there on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky
    Thanks for the wonderful service you provide maintaining the blog and for the prompt and efficient care despite the bouquets and the brickbats. Thanking you isn't enough. You should be garlanded at the next reunion for your services to the batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ND for your complimentary comment. Garlands won't be necessary. In fact, I was embarrassed to the core when Anton Ambrose (on behalf of the batch) came up and handed over to me a beautiful plaque with the following text during the Academic Sessions of our 2017 Reunion:

    "In appreciation of your dedication and monumental contribution to making our 50 year Batch Reunion a success"

    It occupies a special place, among other framed photographs and certificates, on the walls of my study in our Battaramulla home.

    I have said this before and I say it again. Swyrie did much more than me in organising the Reunion. I was very happy when she was honoured in a speech and an accompanying bouquet by Sriani (Dissanayake) Basnayake at the dinner hosted by Swyrie and Ken at the end of the Reunion.

    Switching over to another topic, I have met, spoken to and reminisced with many of the UK friends at our past Reunions and other occasions. Among them, Pram, Jimmy, ND, Sunil, Rohini, Zita, Bora and Dharmani. But this is the first time that I saw some of the others even in a photo. Although both Sumathi and I had worked in the same Matara District in the early seventies, our paths never crossed. Since March 1967 when we parted, I have never met Manil, Indrani. Maheshwari and Sushila either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Lucky,
      It was so unfortunate that I was stationed at Deniya as DMo from 1st Jan 1971.I was unaware that you were assist MOH at Matara.When insurrection erupted on 5th April,we were cut off from travel to Matara.The roads were blocked until Army arrived towards the end of April.You know the rest of the story of my escape by the skin of my teeth.
      I was ordered to return within days of my escape to run the hospital.I am sure you must have received my recent letter and read the subsequent events.
      Those traumatic memories does not haunt me at all.
      It was a nice gathering,by the way in London,where I had no difficulty in recognising,Nihal,Jimmy,Indrani,Sunil,Bora,Dharmani.
      I am sure you will recognise me and my wife sitting next to me.Sorry to miss,my old friends,especially,Susil Attale and Shanthi Nalliah.
      I have told Susil to change his e mail address as his nhsnet does not work any more after retirement.

      Wish I could meet you before my demise.
      My regards to our blogger in Aotearoa.

      Sumathi

      Delete
    2. Sumathi, the blogger who was visiting Aotearoa is probably on his way back to UK right now.
      I was sorry I couldn’t catch up with him.

      Delete
    3. Rohini,
      Sorry to hear that Speedy has not visited you during his itinerary.I was hoping to see you alone with him ,in a photo.I have a recent photo of Speedy,in both,mobile and the laptop.
      Don't think that my brain has erased you charming face that was implanted during our clinical attachments.
      Good to see your fascinating blogs.By,now,you must know the secrets of eternal youth.

      Delete
    4. Sumathi, though I’ve spoken of eternal youth, isn’t it strange that it is only because we are past our youth that you feel comfortable speaking about a “charming face” (whether it existed or not !) and I can even dare to respond !!
      There is something to be said for our ‘age’ !
      Speedy was here for about 10 days seeing his family and was fairly busy. I had undertaken a lengthy locum, and as you’d know, when one has undertaken to cover for an absentee doc it is impossible to drop things and run away. So it was a disappointment -but look forward to another chance sometime- ‘God’ willing !
      Take care-

      Delete
    5. Thanks, Rohini
      I read the comments from Speedy,today.Nice to see that you are still actively looking after the health of fellow citizens.I decided to call it a day,few years ago,even though I was asked to continue in the SURGERY, as a Part-Timer.I also did lot of Dermatology and Sexual Health sessions for many years.At times,I tend to wonder retirement is a waste of talents.
      Keep in touch with the social media.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Compliments are never misplaced at this stage of our lives when we have all been through the mill. Infact what's wrong with mutual admiration? Isn't it so much better than the constant sniping we see all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal, Thank you for this fantastic ”ball by ball” account of the London reunion. It did make me feel as if I was there, just as it made Lucky feel.
    What would we do without you !
    - And Lucky , what would we do without you !!
    Thank you both for all your efforts in keeping us in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Rohini,
      When is your photo going to appear in the blog column.
      I haven't seen you since our departure in 1967-the year to remember.

      Cheers,

      Sumathi

      Delete
    2. Sumathi, I am afraid a photo of me would put our friends off the blog !
      I was happy to see a photo of Latha and you at the reunion .
      Some are privi to the secrets of eternal youth!

      Delete
  6. As usual Nihal you have brought the reunion into our homes and minds , transporting your thoughts so well as always.
    ia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nihal, as always I really enjoyed reading your detailed account of the reunion. I wish I was there! May be I would be able to participate next summer in London, if there is one. Like Lucky I have not met people like Manil, Sushila, Sumathi and Maheshwari after leaving the faculty.
    Sanath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to Indra, Lucky, Rohini, Sumathi and Sanath for your kind comments. It is just my way of saying thank you for the friendship

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you ND for your delightful account of the mini reunion.I read it over and over again;fully agree with Lucky and Rohini Ana that you made us feel we were there.That is the epitome of outstanding journalism.
    The photos were captivating too.Everyone looks good.Was so happy to see my good friends from yore Bora and Harshi and Manil.She was seated two next to me at physiology lectures.Your poetic prose “ the slip of a girl who floated along the long corridors of GHC like a wispy cloud “ struck a deep chord.It was worthy of Tagore or Nazim Hickmet.
    Your remarks about the other attendees were so amusing but also tinged with sadness.Bora would have enjoyed your comment about his full head of hair; a rarity amongst males of our vintage.He is a superb raconteur too and has been so since schooldays.
    Your compliments to Pram were well deserved.She has exceptional organisational skills.She along with Bora ,K Bala and others were responsible for the fabulous 1992 get together in London.I still have the official video of that gathering.All of us were at our peak.
    The first day was a full academic programme.Bala had asked me talk about “Cardiology Down Under”.I was well prepared ,but at the last moment Mahen asked me to refrain; all other speakers including SriKantha had far exceeded their time limits.I was not devastated as my brain was benumbed after the shenanigans of the previous night.
    All reunions small or large with old friends rejuvenate and rouse us.
    Hope we can catch up in the near future.
    The Stumbling Block dear ND is the “Tyranny of Distance”
    Best Wishes
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kumar
    Thank you. I feel humbled by those generous comments. Pramilla must get her due for organising it at such short notice having spent only 2 weeks in London. Invitations, arranging the restaurant and the multiple emails and phone calls were done in her stride juggling them with her busy schedule. During the reunion she made certain everything was in order all the while keeping a low profile. That’s modesty at its best. Pramilla is the real star of the London reunion.
    Kumar, I wish we can meet one day. Despite your many achievements you have kept your feet on the ground. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am back now and was able to read all the comments. So sorry to have missed it but reading ND's account of it was the next best thing.

    Sorry Rohini and I couldn't meet but we had a good telephone chat and a good Skype chat. I can assure Sumathi that Rohini has followed the excellent tradition set by good wines and has matured beautifully and as I remarked to her on Skype, she has an "Indira Gandhi" look with delicately placed wisps of silvery grey hair on a background of mostly black/grey hair. She looks beautiful and distinguished.

    Pram.as others have stated, well done yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,Speedy,
    Nice to know that Rohini has not lost her beauty, after all.
    As a close associate during the clinical group from 3rd MB to the final,I have noticed her features were very similar to Indira Gandhi.Indra's face was the mirror image of Jawaharlal.Rohini can easily post her most recent photo via the social media(1962 blog).No wonder fresh air,healthy food,relax atmosphere are helping the delay in the onset of wasting of muscle mass,leading the wrinkled skin.Speedy!you are an Expert on Gerontology;I am sorry for teaching your grandmother to suck eggs(Mutte in Tamil).
    Nice to see you back,safe and sound.We will have many more interesting blogs in time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mahen and Sumathi ,
    I’ve woken up today to this very amusing conversation which gives me the giggles !
    Even as I thank you both for being so generously complimentary, you’ve heard that beauty is just skin deep !
    Some of the wisest and most comforting words as I began to ‘grey’ were from my beloved daughter - “ Mum, good fortune has spoilt you! Just don’t worry about what’s outside- it’s enough to just keep shining from inside”.
    and that is all I hope I can do !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky has accepted my suggestion and added a window for searching the Wikepedia. I hope Bloggers will make use of it when reading a post and want to search something they come across without leaving the page. If for example you type in Amaradeva, you will be presented with a "hit list" from which you can choose. When you click on your choice, your Browser will open a new tab with the site you are looking for. You can always come back to the Blog page by clicking on the tab for it. I hope you guys will make use of this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good idea,Speedy.By the way when are you going to show us your holiday photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sumathi. I don't think the Blog is the right place for the photos but if you like to see them,I can email you a selection.

      Delete
  16. I agree with Speedy. I too don't think the batch blog is the appropriate place for photos taken on private holidays. Anything relevant to our batch (like mini Reunions) should be posted for everyone to enjoy.

    I Just like to add that Speedy comes up with suggestions to make the blog more attractive. Wikipedia is the latest and I had no hesitation in taking it up. I do hope that viewers will make full use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mahen and Lucky - hope your unceasing enthusiasm will spur more batchmates on to make their appearance. With thanks and Best Wishes-

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,Speedy,
    I did not mean photos of your friends&the family,but beautiful pictures of mountainous ranges and green pastures of New Zealand,which i have not explored so far.During our transit at Auckland Airport,we visited the site of a Maori Worrier.
    Hope you have misread,what I intended in the previous blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Sumathi. No misunderstanding at all. Really sorry I missed you at the London Reunion as I have not met you for years!

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,Speedy,
    Thank you.I am much relieved by your comment.
    We will certainly meet one day,most probably,in UK(some may say God willing(inshallah).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a suggestion for our batch colleagues living in different countries (Australia + New Zealand, USA, Canada, Sri Lanka.etc.Why not organise Mini Reunions like the UK crowd do? May be you already do so and if so why not let us know about them through the Blog? Won't it be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is Zita, the late! Yes I keep to that title which I have given myself. Well I have an excuse that I have been away, dragging Joe too with the help of my daughter Nisha, to Barcelona. Our reunion, the brain child of Pram and as usual so well organised, and now reported in his inimitable manner by Nihal, was all that I dreamt of and more. I saw so many new faces from our batch and I know I wouldn't have missed this chance for anything. Everyone contributed something and each made an attempt to talk to the others. I was particularly happy to meet our AHTS from the Blog. I don't think I met Sumathi all these 50 or more years, unless I have forgotten a meeting in London at our 25th anniversary. Well thanks all and thanks particularly Pram for your hard work and Nihal for reporting on it so well. I wouldn't have missed that chance for anything. I must add that my heart wept when I thought of Suren. He gave me so much by his advice at the earlier meeting the year before. Just shows how important it is not to miss a chance to get together. All the best from, Zita

    ReplyDelete