Friday, June 1, 2018

To be read with the post on Remembrance Day

Sent in by Kumar Gunawardene


About the poet: Mary Elizabeth Frye was an American housewife and florist, best known as the author of the poem Do not stand at my grave and weep, written in 1932. She was born in Dayton, Ohio, United States, and was orphaned at the age of three.

    Do not stand at my grave and weep;
    I am not there. I do not sleep.

    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glint on snow.
    I am the sun on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle Autumn rain.

    When you awake in the morning hush,
    I am the swift, uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight.
    I am the soft starlight at night.

    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there. I did not die.







3 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem and thanks Kumar for bringing it to our notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kumar,
    Another great poem.
    We do not "Die" as she says in the verse, only "Relocate"!!
    In memory we all remain.
    Razaque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kumar for that beautiful poem. I will add it to my collection Suri

    ReplyDelete