Sunday, October 15, 2017

Suren Iyer, an Appreciation

 By Nihal D Amerasekera

Suren had the tremendous capacity for friendship and soon became a popular figure in our batch. He was an inveterate smiler. All through the hardships of signatures, revisals and clinical appointments his everlasting smile is what I recall most. I remember whenever someone was in trouble, during those years, he was there to comfort, console and encourage. He was never afraid to voice his opinion. Suren joined in all the fun and the frolic of the Faculty and was ever present at the many functions. Sadly, I lost contact with Suren after 1967 and saw him for the first time thereafter at our Reunion in London recently. He was in sparkling form with his hilarious one liners and amusing anecdotes. I am so pleased I got the opportunity to speak with him and reminisce. My grateful thanks to Pram and Mahen for organising such a wonderful event.

In those days he lived in Kuruppu Road Borella. That was a few doors next to Daya Perera who was an old Wesleyite and in our junior batch in the Faculty. His house was a regular watering hole for us and he remembered those days most fondly. Daya passed away in 2004 while on a flight to Hong Kong from Los Angeles. His ashes were scattered in the South China sea. Suren knew all this and mentioned the sadness on his demise.

I am told Suren was a successful GP in the posh county of Surrey. He continued to work part time after retirement. I am certain he was a good friend and a leader at his surgery and changed the lives of countless people for the better. Suren was charming, kind, helpful and generous. Those are my memories of a wonderful human being. I am grateful I was able to walk with him even a short way, in our long and tortuous journey through life. We have lost a wonderful and genuine friend.
On behalf of our batch I wish to pass on our condolences to his immediate family.

May he attain the Ultimate Bliss of Nirvana

7 comments:

  1. I found it quite amazing that even though Suren and I were both in England, we never met here till June this year at the Mini Reunion in London. I did meet him in Sri Lanka earlier this year at the Grand 50th and had long chats with him. He was such a pleasant guy with that ever present smile ND mentioned. As someone said, it was a great way to leave this planet but did leave a very sad family behind. We shall all miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nihal in all the nice things he says about Suren. And Mahendra thanks to you and Pram arranging a mini reunion, I managed to meet Suren before 'Dirty Monster' Death claimed him. I had a long conversation with him and I bought and read the books he recommended. These were fantastic and they gave me insights to subjects I had for long wondered about. His passing is shocking. I am with his wife and family at this sad time sharing the grief with them. And I am ever so glad we had Suren in our 1962 Batch. One less on earth, one more in heaven!
    Zita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zita and Mahen
    Thank you for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihal, We are fortunate you’ve always taken the time to write something nice in appreciation of are batchmates on our behalf.
      Thank you. Take care.

      Delete
  4. My contact with Suren was only at the medical college. I agree with all that he was a jovial fun loving person with that pleasing smile. May his soul Rest In Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal, thank you for this lovely appreciation of Suren and also for your memories of Daya Perera, who was another wonderful person. Like you, I remember Suren's cheerful smile as being his hallmark feature! I'll try to stay in touch a bit better from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was an excellent GP and a kind man.RIP

    ReplyDelete